[net.garden] Roundup

lynnef@tekgvs.UUCP (Lynne Fitzsimmons) (07/25/85)

Roundup does not sterilize the soil.  It kills the plants it comes in contact
with by some sort of hormonal action -- I think it makes them grow so
fast that they die trying.  We use it on our driveway, and we still have
stuff growing in it, so it certainly isn't sterile!  It allegedly does not
remain in the soil.  We have used it to clear out areas of our yard for
landscaping, and then put in barkdust and shrubs.  Everything we put in
is doing just fine.
--
Lynne Fitzsimmons
UUCP:  {allegra, decvax, ihnp4, orstcs, ucbvax, zehntel, ogcvax, reed,

dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) (07/31/85)

Can someone tell me what kind of coverage you can expect with "Roundup"?
Our local Agway store sells it for one hundred and eight dollars ($108.00)
a gallon. I passed it up because nobody in the store knew how much you
diluted it, and the instructions were sealed in plastic.
--
Don Corey
AT&T Bell Laboratories

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (08/12/85)

In article <520@bonnie.UUCP> dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) writes:
>Can someone tell me what kind of coverage you can expect with "Roundup"?
> ...  the instructions were sealed in plastic.

Two points:
1.  I can't tell you the coverage rate, but it would seem to me that if
    your local store wants to do business, they should know or at least
    be prepared to open the instruction pack.

2.  About two weeks ago I mentioned using roundup to remove unwanted
    weeds and grasses from lawns (apply locally with a kid's paint
    brush).  At that time I didn't know how long it sterilized soil to
    which it is applied.  I have been advised that it is a contact
    chemical that does not remain in the soil.  New planting can occur
    as little as 3 days later, but it was recommended to wait about 2
    weeks just in case.