[net.garden] square foot gardening

jbd@duke.UUCP (01/14/86)

I received the book "Square Foot Gardening" for
Christmas (by Mel Bartholomew).  It is the companion
to the PBS series with the same title.  I've only read
about half of it so far, but it looks very interesting.

Has anyone on the net tried it?  What do you think?
Any suggestions?  I'm planning to move my garden from
its present site (about 600 ft from the house) to the
back of the house (right at the back door), so I will
be "starting new".  One question that I have concerns soil.
We have very heavy clay soil, so I am considering
setting up raised beds, and using a soil mix (I haven't
investigated prices yet).  Also, our soil is about half
rocks, some too heavy to move.  Any comments?

Thanks,
Joanne Bechta Dugan (jbd@duke)

P.S.  There's nothing better for chasing away the winter
blues than planning a garden !

rib@desoto.UUCP (RI Block) (01/17/86)

I think that Square Foot Gardening is one of the finest gardening
books to appear in the recent past.  It not only presents an idea
but covers complete culture of several crops from seed to harvest.

I garden in Highland Park, NJ in part of a 16' x 20' backyard
and using the side yards (4' x ~60').  The soil is very heavy
and has a layer of impervious rock underneath it.

I support my raised beds with frames made from 2x6 lumber.
My vertical area supported on 3/4" EMT either free-standing or
attached to the raised-bed frames.

The techniques used allow me have a house, a children's play area,
and a garden on a 50' x 100' lot.

Although I don't follow anybody's advice slavishly, I found lots of
good ideas in the book ("Square Foot Gardening", Mel Bartholomew, Rodale).

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (01/17/86)

In article <6787@duke.UUCP> jbd@duke.UUCP writes:
>I received the book "Square Foot Gardening" for
>Christmas (by Mel Bartholomew).
>Has anyone on the net tried it?  What do you think?
>Any suggestions?  ...
>We have very heavy clay soil, so I am considering
>setting up raised beds, and using a soil mix (I haven't
>investigated prices yet).  Also, our soil is about half
>rocks, some too heavy to move.  Any comments?
>Joanne Bechta Dugan (jbd@duke)
>P.S.  There's nothing better for chasing away the winter
>blues than planning a garden !
(How true!)
The technique is really good for planning and planting.
You give about the right amount of space to each plant
this way, if you follow the guidelines.  It is also
good for companion planting (see some books on this
subject).  Raised beds are a good idea when you have
heavy clay soil.  They alleviate the drainage problems
you otherwise have.  They will tend to dry out a bit
faster than a regular flat garden, so watch the moisture.
Before you spend ziggabucks on soil mix, get as much
rotted organic matter as you can and mix that in with
the clay - the more the better.  That will lighten it
up and improve drainage.  Then put the soil mix on top
of the improved clay.  If you plan on planting root
vegetable, you must get rid of rocks in that part of the
garden to a depth of a foot or more, or else you get
lousy shapes and stunted growth.  If you have some
really big rock, you might want to integrate them with
the garden as decorative elements.  Plant some flowers
too, they look nice, attract bees & hummingbirds, etc.,
and distract harmfull insects.  Marigolds and nasurtiums
are particularly good for repelling or diverting bad
actors.  Plus you can eat both flowers, and the nastur-
tium's leaves and seeds.  They taste kind of like radish
or peppery cress.  Do NOT plant sunflowers near the
rest of the garden, THEY INHIBIT GROWTH of other plants
(except onion family).  Do not even use them for mulch.
Do plant some for the birds elsewhere.  If you do it in
a place you can more or less ignore, they tend to seed
themselves (hey!  next best thing to perennials!)
Finally, once you have the beds prepared,
you should get at least the pH checked, and preferably
more stuff than that.  It is crucial to the growth of
your plants to have proper pH, and by checking the other
stuff like K and P you can better judge where to spend
your fertilizer dollar.
Happy Gardening!
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/17/86)

In article <6787@duke.UUCP>, jbd@duke.UUCP writes:
> (...)               One question that I have concerns soil.
> We have very heavy clay soil, so I am considering
> setting up raised beds, and using a soil mix (I haven't
> investigated prices yet).

I live where the soil is clay.  I've spent the last few years
making my garden into something worth working in.  What have
I found to work best?  Use about 10-20% of the clay soil.  Mix
with about 40-50% sand and the remainder (40%) compost.
(I use the commercial bagged stuff.)

This is an estimate only.  Your milage may differ.  I mostly just
kept dumping bags of sand on and working it in.  I started using
organic mulches only, but they 'go away' after a year or so.  The
sand is important.  Try mixing a bucket or two from your own soil
first, just to see what mix you need.
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

rws@gypsy.UUCP (01/20/86)

I'm surprised that other respondents have so readily accepted the idea of
putting commercial soil mix on top.  A little imagination and one year of
patience will yield dramatic results, without huge expenditures:

1)  Dig the new beds by hand, removing any rocks larger than 3/4".  Make
sure you get a full foot of depth.  If there is grass on top now, great!
Organize your digging as a "moving trench", so that you can lay the old sod
upside down in the bottom of the trench, then pile soil on top of it while
making the next trench.  Take care not to walk on the freshly dug soil.

2)  If you don't have access to large quantities of compost or other organic
material, apply THREE INCHES of peat moss!  Dig it in to the top six inches
or so, along with enough lime to balance your pH.  (In the eastern US it is
almost impossible to use too much lime, because the soil only dissolves what
it needs.)  The finer the grind of the limestone, the sooner it will work.

3)  Plan soil amendments into every year's garden.  I like using winter rye
as a cover crop, and digging it in in the spring.  Just make sure not to
plant it on a few beds, so that you can plant peas even before the soil is
dry  enough to  dig.

Happy gardening!

Bob Schwanke

Siemens Research
Princeton, NJ
08540-6668

seismo!princeton!siemens!rws

mmr@ritcv.UUCP (Margaret Reek) (01/20/86)

I got the book several years ago, and have been using variations of the
technique in my garden ever since.  It really does work, although the weeds
are not quite as cooperative as he would have you believe.  You can grow
incredible amounts of food in a much smaller space.  For example, I grow
about 15 little squares of swiss chard, which is enough to freeze for the
winter, eat all the two of us want, give it away, and waste the rest.

BTW, if you grow something that he doesn't mention in the book, just use the
width between plants on the seed package as a guide, and forget the distance
between rows.  I don't plant in 4 foot blocks anymore, I use 3 foot wide
(because the plastic covers that width) rows the full length of the garden,
but plant in it in 1 foot squares.  It works just as well, and is easier
for me to maintain.

I agree with Nemo's recommendations about your soil.  Good luck.

		Margaret Reek
		rochester!ritcv!mmr

timborn@ihlpg.UUCP (Tim Born) (01/22/86)

> 2)  If you don't have access to large quantities of compost or other organic
> material, apply THREE INCHES of peat moss!  Dig it in to the top six inches
> or so, along with enough lime to balance your pH.  (In the eastern US it is
> almost impossible to use too much lime, because the soil only dissolves what
> it needs.)  The finer the grind of the limestone, the sooner it will work.

	.
	.
	.
> Bob Schwanke

If you have a clay soil, that implies to me (among other things), a drainage
problem.  It would seem that peat moss would be about the last thing you would
want in your clay, since it holds water like a sponge.  What do the rest
of you think?  Is peat moss in clay soil a good idea or not?

tim born
...ihnp4!ihlpg!timborn

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (01/25/86)

> > 2)  If you don't have access to large quantities of compost or other organic
> > material, apply THREE INCHES of peat moss!  Dig it in to the top six inches
> > or so, along with enough lime to balance your pH.  (In the eastern US it is
> > almost impossible to use too much lime, because the soil only dissolves what
> > it needs.)  The finer the grind of the limestone, the sooner it will work.
> >
> If you have a clay soil, that implies to me (among other things), a drainage
> problem.  It would seem that peat moss would be about the last thing you would
> want in your clay, since it holds water like a sponge.  What do the rest
> of you think?  Is peat moss in clay soil a good idea or not?

	Ayup. I nevre use peat moss (for one thing, it should be soaked
thoroughly before digging it in). For clay soils, you should add sand and
organic material to lighten it up and make it more friable. One cannot
stress too much the importance of compost to the universal order.

--
jcpatilla

California is paid a diplomatic visit by giant Betelgeusian reptiles
that want our women but can't find any so scientists invent a
weapon that fails so they kill us.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/27/86)

In article <1570@ihlpg.UUCP>, timborn@ihlpg.UUCP (Tim Born) writes:

> > 2)  If you don't have access to large quantities of compost or other organic
> > material, apply THREE INCHES of peat moss! (...)
>
> If you have a clay soil, that implies to me (among other things), a drainage
> problem.  It would seem that peat moss would be about the last thing you would
> want in your clay, since it holds water like a sponge.  What do the rest
> of you think?  Is peat moss in clay soil a good idea or not?

Peat moss will help at first.  Eventually it will break down though.
If you don't want to add alot more each year, use sand.  It takes an
enormous quantity (I use 3 units of sand to one of clay soil and
one of compost).  But you end up with a wonderful soil that drains
well.