[net.garden] Gravel for Drainage

seb@mtgzy.UUCP (s.e.badian) (01/24/86)

	I usually put some small pebbles in the bottom of each of my
houseplant pots when I repot to make sure the plant has good drainage.
I've been having trouble finding gravel in sufficient quantities.
I find small bags of gravel in the gardening sections of home
center stores, but nothing very big. Can someone suggest a substitute?

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzz!mtgzy!seb

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (01/24/86)

>I find small bags of gravel in the gardening sections of home
>center stores, but nothing very big. Can someone suggest a substitute?
>Sharon Badian

You might try a pet store.  They usually have lots of rocks, marbles,
and pebbles for use in fish tanks.

--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

      To search for perfection is all very well,
      But to look for heaven is to live here in hell.
                                       --Sting

jao@valid.UUCP (John Oswalt) (01/24/86)

> 	I usually put some small pebbles in the bottom of each of my
> houseplant pots when I repot to make sure the plant has good drainage.
> I've been having trouble finding gravel in sufficient quantities.
> I find small bags of gravel in the gardening sections of home
> center stores, but nothing very big. Can someone suggest a substitute?
>
> Sharon Badian

I use shards from old, broken pots.
--
John Oswalt (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!jao)

grass@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/27/86)

<>
One of my garden books (I forget which one) suggests that plastic packing
peanuts (The plastic foam nuggets they put in packages of shipped
breakables) are good for providing drainage. They don't decompose, they don't
absorb water...  I've been using them, and they seem to do the job.
The only complaint I have is that they are light and don't bottom weight
the pot.

I think anything you can find that will pack losely, not decompose much
and not hold water might work well in place of potting shards  (I never
have enough old pots).

	- Judy Grass,  University of Illinois - Urbana
	  {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!grass   grass%uiuc.arpa

hav@dual.UUCP (Repo Wench) (01/27/86)

In article <1570@mtgzy.UUCP>, seb@mtgzy.UUCP (s.e.badian) writes:

=> 	I usually put some small pebbles in the bottom of each of my
=> houseplant pots when I repot to make sure the plant has good drainage.
=> I've been having trouble finding gravel in sufficient quantities.
=> I find small bags of gravel in the gardening sections of home
=> center stores, but nothing very big. Can someone suggest a substitute?

You mean you've never broken a pot???  :-)

Seriously, I just use pieces of broken pots (like after the cat chased a fly
and knocked the pot off the windowsill).  If they're too big to use as they
are, go after them with a hammer.

     Helen Anne      {ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,ucbvax,sun}!dual!hav

            /* This is a disclaimer.  I deny it all.  Period. */

Hey, there's a great future as a fry cook!  I could be manager in two years.