[net.garden] Improving clay soils

jon@shell.UUCP (Jon M. Holdman) (01/28/86)

The gardening book I have suggests adding gypsum to improve heavy clay
soils.  The name of the book is (I think) Vegetable Gardening for
Southern Gardens.  I don't have it handy and can't remember the
publisher or author.  I'm trying this on our wonderful Houston gumbo
this year.  I bought a bag of powdered gypsum as a garden store, but I
suspect old wallboard would work ok if it was crushed some.

Jon M. Holdman, Shell Development Company

tarnopol@ttidcb.UUCP (Lewis Tarnopol) (01/31/86)

In article <132@shell.UUCP> jon@shell.UUCP (Jon M. Holdman) writes:
>The gardening book I have suggests adding gypsum to improve heavy clay
>soils.  The name of the book is (I think) Vegetable Gardening for
>Southern Gardens.  I don't have it handy and can't remember the
>publisher or author.  I'm trying this on our wonderful Houston gumbo
>this year.  I bought a bag of powdered gypsum as a garden store, but I
>suspect old wallboard would work ok if it was crushed some.
>
>Jon M. Holdman, Shell Development Company

NO NO NO!!!!  Small amounts of gypsum increase the heavy clay soils ability
to drain, but this is a quick fix.  It changes the PH factor some too. In
some cases, sand mixed in heavy clay creates 'cement'.  The best soil
amendment is organic matter (compost, peat moss, redwood chips, etc)  These
have the ability to open up pores in heavy clay for air to exist.  I live
in So. Cal. with heavy clay soil in my garden.  It is now at least 50%
organic amendments, a little sand, and a little perlite.  It works great!
(I have raised beds using the Square Foot Gardening technique)

Don't use wallboard; it's not the same - it contains binders you wouldn't
want in your soil.

					Uncle Lew
Lewis Tarnopol
Citicorp/TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 3082
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcb!tarnopol