[net.garden] Advice on Pruning Shrubs

seb@mtgzy.UUCP (s.e.badian) (04/21/86)

	I just moved into a house with well-established landscaping. I
can't say I'm too thrilled with the landscaping (the former owners
lacked imagination in this area; their idea of visual interest was
strict symmetry), but I'm not ready to rip it all out, yet. My problem
is that most of the shrubs and roses have been pruned horribly, and
I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I prune them like I would a well-
formed shrub, just thinning and cutting out the dead wood? Or should
I get the ax? Or should I let them grow out some and then attack them
with the pruning shears? (If you're curious, the shrubs all look like
vases, even the poor forsythias, even a dogwood tree! Horrors! They
all look just like the "don't" diagrams in the gardening books.)

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzy!seb

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (04/21/86)

>	I just moved into a house with well-established landscaping. I
>can't say I'm too thrilled with the landscaping (the former owners
>lacked imagination in this area; their idea of visual interest was
>strict symmetry), but I'm not ready to rip it all out, yet. My problem
>is that most of the shrubs and roses have been pruned horribly, and
>I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I prune them like I would a well-
>formed shrub, just thinning and cutting out the dead wood? Or should
>I get the ax? Or should I let them grow out some and then attack them
>with the pruning shears? (If you're curious, the shrubs all look like
>vases, even the poor forsythias, even a dogwood tree! Horrors! They
>all look just like the "don't" diagrams in the gardening books.)
>
>Sharon Badian
>ihnp4!mtgzy!seb

I wouldn't get out the axe yet.  From your description, if you shaped them
up too abruptly, all you would have left is leafless sticks.  Start
shaping them up gradually.  Thin and shape by the rules.  The roses
might benefit from a major cut back now, if they haven't leafed out yet.
Check the roses out carefully this summer.  To much neglect may have
left them 90% suckers, if this is the case, start over.

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (04/22/86)

How to prune depends heavily on the particular shrub.

Forsythia is easy: when it has finished flowering, cut it back as
much as you like, then leave it until next year.  It is almost
impossible to cut back a forsythia too much.  If you mow the thing
down to the ground, you will have six-foot branches by fall.

Forsythia, lilac, and some other spring-flowering shrubs bloom only
on last year's growth.  Thus the object of the game is to get as
much growth as possible this year to maximize the flowers next
year.  Pruning after flowering does just that.  Pruning in the fall
just cuts off the flower buds.

It's hard to say what to do about the others without knowing what they are.

mangoe@umcp-cs (04/24/86)

In article <1739@mtgzy.UUCP> seb@mtgzy.UUCP (s.e.badian) writes:
>My problem
>is that most of the shrubs and roses have been pruned horribly, and
>I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I prune them like I would a well-
>formed shrub, just thinning and cutting out the dead wood? Or should
>I get the ax? Or should I let them grow out some and then attack them
>with the pruning shears? (If you're curious, the shrubs all look like
>vases, even the poor forsythias, even a dogwood tree! Horrors! They
>all look just like the "don't" diagrams in the gardening books.)

Actually, that last is a very important piece of data, because different
species are going to need different treatment.

The roses can probably be pruned normally.  Same with the forsythia, except
that thinning the thing might help.

If you have any japanese holly, get the shovel.  These things are massively
monolayered, and eventually any pruning is going to thin them to the point
where the frost will take them out.  It'll be easier to start over with
something else.  Chinese and american holly can take more radical pruning,
so you can try to reshape them.  One thing you  might try with them (and
with the dogwood too) is studying up on Bonsai techniques and forms and then
pruning them as if they were giant bonsai.

The conifers are going to be the worst problem.  THey'll all have holes
where they abut each other, and they don't send out shoots from old wood.
You therefore have to be really careful about thinning them (whereas with
the deciduous plants it's less of a crisis).  Probably letting them grow out
(with a little judicious pruning) is the best course.

Azaleas will take care of themselves fine.

Good luck!

C. Wingate

smh@mhuxl (04/27/86)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> Forsythia, lilac, and some other spring-flowering shrubs bloom only
> on last year's growth.  Thus the object of the game is to get as
> much growth as possible this year to maximize the flowers next
> year.  Pruning after flowering does just that.  Pruning in the fall
> just cuts off the flower buds.

I prefer to prune forsythia they way I prune raspberries; remove all the
2 year old canes.  On an old plant you remove the oldest half of the canes,
the ones that look like they have bark on them.  You should see how
beautiful our forsythia was this year until we got snow.