[net.garden] Shade Tolerant Flowers

jld@ulysses.UUCP (Jeff David) (04/28/86)

> Can anyone recommend some flowers that will
> grow well in a shady yard?

Lilly of the Valley will thrive in shade, but will tend to grow out
of control after a few years.

jpm@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP (John McNally) (04/28/86)

In article <123@brl-tbd.ARPA>, kjm@brl-tbd.UUCP writes:
> Can anyone recommend some flowers that will
> grow well in a shady yard?
>
> 		Thanks,
>                     Kelly Benjamin

I have a section of my yard that is on the north side of a wooden
fence where several myapora trees are growing.  Needless to say,
this area is very shaded, getting only early morning and late
evening sun.  I planted azaleas, gardenias, and camelias.  All of
these do very well in shade or semi-shade.  They love acidic soil,
though, so be sure to use peat moss and/or Miracid.
However, if you live in the northern section of the temperate
zone, gardenias and camelias might be difficult for you to grow.  Try
Rhododenrons and azaleas instead.  Here in San Diego, all of these
plants will flower almost year-round (azaleas mostly in spring,
camelias mostly in fall).  In other sections of the country you
might only get blooms in the spring.
--
John McNally  GE/Calma  9805 Scranton Rd. San Diego CA 92121
...{ucbvax | decvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!jpm      (619)-587-3211

njm@cosivax.UUCP (Nancy J. Medd) (04/30/86)

For spring flowers, violets, pansies, primrose and bleeding hearts do
well in the shade.  Phlox and forget-me-nots flower all summer.

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (05/01/86)

Other shade tolerant flowers:

Impatiens, vinca, bleeding heart, astilbe.  The last three are
perennial.  All of these do well in the Denver climate zone.

Betsy Cvetic

nemo@rochester.ARPA (Wolfe) (05/07/86)

>> Can anyone recommend some flowers that will
>> grow well in a shady yard?

Lungwort is much prettier than it sounds.  It is a well-behaved plant
that likes shade and moisture.  It grows to a foot or two in height,
with large, deep green leaves speckled with pale green spots (the
foliage is quite nice by itself).  The pink and purple flowers appear
in profusion in the mid spring, and it stays green all winter (though
a bit limp).  It doesn't seem to require much care, I just toss a
little fertilizer on it in the spring and a little in the fall, and
water it if it is getting dry.  It is a hardy perennial, surviving
Rochester winters easily.  It is poisonous, so don't let the kids eat
it (so is lilly-of-the-valley).
Nemo