[net.garden] Problem with Moles/Voles

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (05/20/86)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

>    The best mole trap is called a cat.  Killing rodents is the thing
> that cats were designed to do in the first place.

I have a dozen cats in my yard and they have driven the voles into
tunnels in the lawn which are a real problem.  I have no results
from the cats and am trying the juicy fruit gum.

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (05/21/86)

In article <763@mhuxl.UUCP> smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) writes:
>****                                                                 ****
>From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh
>
>>    The best mole trap is called a cat.  Killing rodents is the thing
>> that cats were designed to do in the first place.
>
>I have a dozen cats in my yard and they have driven the voles into
>tunnels in the lawn which are a real problem.  I have no results
>from the cats and am trying the juicy fruit gum.

So I was reading my first copy of "Family Handyman" the other day, it's
not a very good magazine, it contained some advice that I felt was just
plain wrong, but.....

The was an advertisement for ORTHO Sevin pesticide, thinly disguised as
an advice column. In answer to a question about moles, they said that
moles live on grubs ( little white things you'll find an inch or so
underground ) and that if Sevin was sprayed on the lawn to kill the grubs,
then the moles would leave in search of happier hunting grounds.

Of course, I think you said something about avoiding things dangerous to
children, and a whole yard full of pesticide isn't exactly a great playground.

Mike

 The Banana Junior 6000
 Buy one before it's too late.
 Gene's mother wishes she had.

 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!mike
 ARPA: amdcad!mike@decwrl.dec.com