[net.garden] Questions about Florabunda Roses

michaelk@copper.UUCP (Michael Kersenbrock) (07/05/86)

In article <19229@rochester.ARPA> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Richard Newman-Wolfe) writes:
>In article <17400001@hpfcms> bill@hpfcms writes:
>>   * where do you cut off spent blooms?  at the closest junction, farther
>>     down, where?
>Doesn't appear to matter much as long as you are reasonable.

I'm not sure about florabunda roses specifically, but I read somewhere
that the place to cut the old rose flowers off is: above the first 5-leaf
leaf (whatever plantology word is appropriate for the rose). The
reason given was that there aren't buds at the 3-leaf leaves.

Anyway, I don't know if this was a generalization for hybrid-teas (the
kind I have) or roses in general.  At very least it gives something objective
to use rather than being arbitrary (especially when you are deadheading
quite a few flowers).

Good luck.

--

Mike Kersenbrock