[net.garden] NG| Silver Fir

ferwerda@scotty.dec.com (08/11/86)

Some relatives just gave us two silver fir seedlings from the slopes of Mt.
Shasta in Washington. Since we live in Franklin, MA, I was wondering if there
were any special things I could do to raise the chances of their growing up
successfully?

Thanks,
---
Paul		EASYNET=> scotty::ferwerda
Gordon		UUCP=> decvax!decwrl!scotty.DEC.COM!ferwerda
Loptson		DARPA Internet=> ferwerda%scotty.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
Ferwerda	Tel (617) 467 5917

scotty=pcasso=dvinci

buls@dataio.UUCP (Rick Buls) (08/13/86)

In article <4751@decwrl.DEC.COM> ferwerda@scotty.dec.com writes:
>Some relatives just gave us two silver fir seedlings from the slopes of Mt.
>Shasta in Washington. Since we live in Franklin, MA, I was wondering if there

	Mt. Shasta is in California!

>were any special things I could do to raise the chances of their growing up
>successfully?

	Fir like soil that is well drained, not standing water. It fact
	they don't like alot of water, grow well here where the summers
	are very dry. I would protect them from the winter weather for
	the first few years.

setha@teklds.UUCP (Seth D. Alford) (08/14/86)

I have a mugo pine (small pine bush) which I'm about to plant.  The
soil has a lot of clay and doesn't really drain that well.  According
to my Sunset book, pines, like firs, love well drained soil.  I know
that you ammend with sand to clay-ey soil to make it drain better.  Organic
material also helps.  I was therefore also planning on adding peat moss.
Anybody have any suggestions on ratio of sand to soil to peat moss?
What about adding other fertilizers to the mixture?

Thanks

--
--Seth Alford
Tektronix Walker Road

ferwerda@monet.dec.com (08/15/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 11-AUG-1986 17:12---------------------

Actually the seeds came from Mt. Baker as opposed to Mt. Shasta
(which is in California, as a kind soul pointed out).

---