[net.bicycle] Need Info on Helmets

pmg@aplvax.UUCP (05/03/84)

Subject: Need Info on Helmets!
Newsgroups: net.bicycle

I am a new reader of net.bicycle so please execuse me if this is an
often repeated request.

I have just become reaquainted with bicycling, after the recent purchase
of a new 12-speed, and have progressed to about 15 miles a day.  I have
realized the need for toe clips and a helmet, but I need more information
pertaining to specific brands of helmets ( their safety, comfort, and
coolness).  I welcome any comments you have, but am particularly
interested in answers to the following questions:

	o	Is the "Deluxe Bell Tourlite Helmet" as cool to
		wear as their advertisements brag?

	o	The foam padding used in the "Skid Lid" looks more
		confortable than the often used styrofoam; is it?

	o	The Z90.4 performance standard was mentioned in
		another ad; what are its specifics?

The choice of a helmet is complicated by the many choices presently on the
market.  Here is a list of the choices pulled from a recent issue of
Bicycle Magazine:

		Bailen
		Bell
			Deluxe Tourlite Helmet
			V-1 Pro-Racing Helmet
			Biker
			Biker II
			Tourlite
			Standard Helmet
		Brancale
			Giro
			Sport Helmet
		Cinelli
			Hairnet
		MSR Bicycle Helmets
		Protec
		Skid Lid
		Vetta

I am interested in any models that can be added to this list, especially
if accompanied by comments.  Please send the info to me via mail, I will
post a summary to the net.  If you want a copy of the summary sent to you
via mail, notify me by mail.

					Thanks in advance,
					Mike
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!pmg