[net.bicycle] Exercycles

diego@cca.UUCP (Diego Gonzalez) (09/25/84)

Subject: Re: Exercycles
Newsgroups: net.bicycle
From: Diego@cca

I must agree with the other net member who suggested that a standard
bicycle and wind trainer or rollers be used instead of one of the
specialized gym "exercycle" devices.  Last winter, I finally gave in to
the urge and acquired a set of Kreitler PVC rollers.  It took some
awkward moments and a bit of perseverance, but after a few false starts
I developed enough skill to stay up for 15 minutes or so.  Each time
after that it was a little easier so that by spring-time, I could "ride"
as long as I desired.  Rollers are definitely for those who welcome
challenges.

For the less ambitious, I would suggest the more stable wind trainers,
of which there are now many models available.  (I didn't get the wind
unit for mine, but plan to add it this year.)

I object to exercycles on largely personal grounds.  I have used quite a
few, and they all seemed quite unnatural compared to an actual bicycle.
Even the computerized models (very expensive, by the way) gave
unrealistic projection of speed, distance "traveled," and relative
effort required to turn the pedals.  Further, the seating positions
offer very little adjustment, requiring a tall person to be as close to
the handlebars as a shorter person.  I guess I feel that even exercise
done at home or in a gym should translate to some reality in other
sports or activities.  The exercycles never seem to; they're upright
like one- or three-speed bikes and they never seem to have toe clips.

For an active person who tended toward the athletic side, I would
strongly recommend a good ten- or twelve-speed bicycle and a wind
trainer like the RacerMate or Turbo Trainer.    Thererare manother units
being marketed by reputable distributors which all seem to be of good
quality and have comparable features.  And of course, when time and
weather allow, there's nothing that can beat a brisk (or leisurely) ride
in the country.