[net.bicycle] Snow Traction

thielges@uiucdcsb.UUCP (01/07/85)

Speaking of cold weather riding, does anyone have a solution to the snow
traction problem ?  A friend of mine suggested to wrap some wire around the
rear wheel.  Of course, this would disable the rear brake (it might disable
you if you forget that the wire is there :-).  A disabled rear brake may not
be so much of a problem because mine usually freezes after a few weeks of
salt water being squirted through the cable housing.  I usually brake with
my feet in snow anyway.  Has anyone tried the wire wheel method ?

				Bart Thielges
                'long live the bat bike'

mink@cfa.UUCP (Doug Mink) (01/09/85)

> Speaking of cold weather riding, does anyone have a solution to the snow
> traction problem ?

This subject has been the subject of numerous discussions in these parts
with no firm conclusion.  For the past 5 winters I've had a three-mile
commute which I've ridden every day all winter on a Raleigh Grand Prix
with 27x1-1/4 Specialized Touring tires, and there have been very few
times when I've had real traction problems.  I do remember one day
last winter when there were six inches of rapidly-packed wet snow
which made me long for wider tires, but usually thin tires will cut
their own tracks.  2.125-inch mountain bike tires tend to ride up on
slush and slide around when the treads clog, but I've heard good things
about 1.75 tires on mountain bikes in snow.  It's not that hard, with
a bit of practice, to ride on rough ice, if you keep up your forward
momentum.  In traffic, though, I stay in the clearest part of the road,
usually moving as fast as traffic.  Teflon-lined cables fill their
housings well enough that snow-clogging of brakes shouldn't be a problem.
I test mine continually while riding through snow to keep them
available; the amount of momentum a bike and rider have in traffic is
more than can be stopped easily with just feet.  As to wires, I expect
that they would act as little sled runners when you hit ice, skidding
the bicycle diagonally, besides causing loss of rear braking which is
the safest way to slow down on a slippery surface.

			-Doug Mink
			 Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astropysics
			 {harvard|genrad|allegra|ihnp4}!wjh12!cfa!mink

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (01/10/85)

In article <16200081@uiucdcsb.UUCP> thielges@uiucdcsb.UUCP writes:
>Speaking of cold weather riding, does anyone have a solution to the snow
>traction problem?...

As a kid in Michigan, I took an old tire and pushed thumbtacks through the
tread about an inch apart.  I then rode the bike around on a small lake where
all the kids skated.  Great fun, but probably not practical if you wanted to
ride on pavement without changing tires!
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

mlf@teddy.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) (01/11/85)

>As a kid in Michigan, I took an old tire and pushed thumbtacks through the
>tread about an inch apart.

   He presumably means from the _inside_ of the tire to the _outside_,
so that the thumbtack heads are between the tube and the tire, and the
points come out to give traction.

   Any other way is flat wrong!

--

					Matt Fichtenbaum
					"Our job is to rescue fires,

richl@daemon.UUCP (Rick Lindsley) (01/14/85)

I've found that the two best things I could do in winter was to buy
"snow tires" just before winter (tires which had a good chain pattern
tread) and to DRIVE SLOW. It was not all that difficult to find a chain
pattern tire in 26" or 27" (in Wisconsin anyway). The rolling resistance
was a bit more but they had a lot less tendency to slide than the parallel
treads that are standard on most 26" or 27" tires. Besides, who's looking
for speed or low rolling resistance in snow; if you are in snow it is
probably because you have to get somewhere rather than because you really
are enjoying the sites.

Rick Lindsley