[net.bicycle] Looking for a LONG tour

lanin@csd2.UUCP (04/09/85)

{}

I want to go on an across-the-country or some other very long tour this
summer. (who? me? run away from reality?) I want to find an organized
club or group that would make this the kind of trip I want: more about
meeting people and seeing places than riding 100 mile days.

Anyone out there have suggestions from experience about such a group?
I am aware of AYH (their Metro New York council) but want to have an
alternative. I would appreciate mail, or a response if you wish,
and Thank You.

					Vladimir Lanin
					{allegra, ihnp4}!cmcl2!csd2!lanin

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (04/14/85)

In article <2640001@csd2.UUCP> lanin@csd2.UUCP writes:
>I want to go on an across-the-country or some other very long tour this
>summer. (who? me? run away from reality?) I want to find an organized
>club or group that would make this the kind of trip I want: more about
>meeting people and seeing places than riding 100 mile days.
>
>Anyone out there have suggestions from experience about such a group?
>I am aware of AYH (their Metro New York council) but want to have an
>alternative. I would appreciate mail, or a response if you wish,
>and Thank You.

Try Bikecentennial.  To quote their membership card:

"BIKECENTENNIAL, INC.  is a non-profit, member-supported service
organization for touring bicyclists.  Among its services,
Bikecentennial researches and publishes maps of bicycle touring routes
in many parts of the nation, including the 4,250-mile TransAmerica
Bicycle Trail.  Bikecentennial also strives to educate the public in
bicycle usage and safety, in order to encourage bicycle travel
throughout the country".

	Bikecentennial
	(406) 721-1776
	P.O. Box 8308
	Missoula, MT 59807

--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken