[net.bicycle] Turbo boost, Kitt....

awalker@topaz.ARPA (*Hobbit*) (04/19/85)

I did something deep and meaningful yesterday.

I raised my seat post about an inch.

Yow!!!  What a difference!  Normal E-Z-Crooz speed jumps from 16 to 20 on
the flat; total expended sweat quotient to get to work considerably reduced.
I feel it a lot more in my calves than the rest of the leg.  Must be the
muscles that *haven't* been involved in the torque picture up till now...

_H*

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (04/19/85)

In article <1670@topaz.ARPA> awalker@topaz.ARPA (*Hobbit*) writes:
>I did something deep and meaningful yesterday.
>
>I raised my seat post about an inch.

Word of suggestion, what at first blush is lovely (change for changes sake)
may lead to future problems. Ergonomic testing of optimum height suggests
that the optimum placing for seat height is 109% of inseam.  What you do is
align the crank so it is in line with the seat tube (about 11:00/5:00)
and measure top of pedal to top of seat.  As a followup, one study
looked at the top racers and checked what the ratio was without knowing this
tidbit, and they were within +- 2% of 109% of inseam.

--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>