[net.bicycle] Comfortable Seat Needed

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (04/17/85)

I have a cheap ten-speed (Iverson) that I don't use much.  I am in my
thirties and have a semi-typical American male build.  My problem is
that the seat on this bike causes discomfort to my, er, "maleness".
The thing is hard as a rock.  Can anyone suggest a comfortable, non-
surgical solution?  Should I just by an "American" bike type seat at
the local discount store or should I get something specific?  I don't
want to sink a lot of money into this bike.  Thanks in advance.

plutchak@uwmacc.UUCP (Joel Plutchak) (04/18/85)

In article <771@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:
>I have a cheap ten-speed (Iverson) that I don't use much.  I am in my
>thirties and have a semi-typical American male build.  My problem is
>that the seat on this bike causes discomfort to my, er, "maleness".
>The thing is hard as a rock.

   I have had the same problem with the awful plastic seat that came
with my bike.  Just recently I began riding again after a two year
hiatus, and the discomfort was very evident.  So I went to the local
bike shop, asked for advice, and ended up with an Italian leather seat
(I think the brand name is Selle, the style is Royale), which is much
nicer.  However, I do believe (and I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong)
that there will be at least SOME soreness in the nether regions until
the body gets accustomed to sitting on something as unnatural as a bike
seat.
      joel

dw@yale.ARPA (David Wittenberg) (04/26/85)

I had problems with my saddle rubbing me badly.  My friendly bike
store owner told me to raise the end which is rubbing, so that you
slide toward the other end of the saddle.  I know it sounds counter-
intuitive, but it worked.

			 David Wittenberg
			 wittenberg@yale   (arpa)
			 decvax!yale!wittenberg   (uucp)

wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) (05/09/85)

> (From plutchak@uwmacc.UUCP (Joel Plutchak) Sat Feb  5 22:28:16 206)
>    I responded to the original article with a recommendation for a
> black leather Selle Royal seat.  I find that now I have a small
> problem with the seat.  When riding for any extended periods (30+ miles),
> I find that there are two blackish spots on the back of my riding
> shorts (and keep your perverted senses of humor to youselves:-).   Does any-
> body have any idea of what I can do to prevent this somewhat embarassing
> transfer of color?

Try black shorts (:-).

Seriously, the reason cycling shorts were traditionally black is that
all-leather seats (such as Brooks, Ideale) can do a real ugly number on
your pants, due to the fact that you have to rub oil into them to soften
'em up.  It doesn't seem right that this should happen to your seat
unless the leather wasn't properly tanned in the first place.

			Dave Wagner
			University of Washington Comp Sci Department
			wagner@washington.arpa
			{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!wagner

"The surest thing there is is we are riders,
 And though none too successful at it, guiders,
 Through everything presented, land and tide
 And now the very air, of what we ride."
	- Frost

bruce@hpfclm.UUCP (bruce) (05/10/85)

>> black leather Selle Royal seat.  I find that now I have a small
>> problem with the seat.  When riding for any extended periods (30+ miles),
>> I find that there are two blackish spots on the back of my riding
>> shorts (and keep your perverted senses of humor to youselves:-).   Does any-
>> body have any idea of what I can do to prevent this somewhat embarassing
>> transfer of color?
>Now you know why most riding shorts are black!

Stop using black shoe polish on your leather seat, use saddle soap.  :-)