[net.bicycle] Purpose of Tire Guides...

mancello@acf4.UUCP (Dominic Mancello) (05/08/85)

Does anyone know what the purpose is of the triangular-shaped tire guides
which are attached to either side of the caliper arms on brakesets?  These
tire guides are usually found on the more expensive brake sets.  Are the
guides supposed to aid with the insertion/centering of the wheels between
the caliper arms?

Dominic Mancello (cmcl2!acf4!mancello)
		 (mancello@acf4.ARPA)

meister@faron.UUCP (Philip W. Servita) (05/10/85)

In article <3010001@acf4.UUCP> mancello@acf4.UUCP (Dominic Mancello) writes:
>Does anyone know what the purpose is of the triangular-shaped tire guides
>which are attached to either side of the caliper arms on brakesets?  These
>tire guides are usually found on the more expensive brake sets.  Are the
>guides supposed to aid with the insertion/centering of the wheels between
>the caliper arms?
>

>Dominic Mancello (cmcl2!acf4!mancello)
>		 (mancello@acf4.ARPA)

these are very useful for making adjustments of the brake cables. (you
can hold them together far easier than brake pads) I don't know if this is
what they were intended them for, however.

                                              -the venn buddhist

         is anything really trash before you throw it away?

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (05/11/85)

[[Sveiks]]

My guess is that they are heat sinks.. I have them on mine, and on
some steep, controlled descents, they take away the heat that can build up.

Do not rely on them to lose heat though, best technique
is to alternate from front to back to avoid heat buildup..

--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

kehoe@reed.UUCP (Dave Kehoe) (05/12/85)

Tire guides are designed to allow racers to change
their wheels quickly -- in a race a wheel can be
changed in less than a minute.  Tire guides are
pretty much extra weight on a touring bike.

fred@varian.UUCP (Fred Klink) (05/13/85)

> >Does anyone know what the purpose is of the triangular-shaped tire guides
> >which are attached to either side of the caliper arms on brakesets?  These
> >guides supposed to aid with the insertion/centering of the wheels between
> >the caliper arms?
>
> these are very useful for making adjustments of the brake cables. (you
> can hold them together far easier than brake pads) I don't know if this is
> what they were intended them for, however.

	Actually they're found on racing brakes and allow for rapid insertion
	of a wheel without hangup when its being changed under racing conditions

msw@drux1.UUCP (Mike Walpole) (05/13/85)

>Does anyone know what the purpose is of the triangular-shaped tire guides
>which are attached to either side of the caliper arms on brakesets?  These
>tire guides are usually found on the more expensive brake sets.  Are the
>guides supposed to aid with the insertion/centering of the wheels between
>the caliper arms?

The reason for the guides is simple.  Most of the high quality brakes are
used on racing bikes.  The reason for the guides on the brakes is to
facilitate wheel changes.  A good mechanic can change a rear wheel in
a race in 6 to 10 seconds.  Any thing longer than 10 seconds is considered
an all day wheel change acompanied by abusive language from the rider
directed at the mechanic.  Centering of the wheels is acomplished at the rear
dropouts with set screws in the dropouts (Campy and Suntour dropouts have
these).

Mike Walpole