[net.bicycle] Tandems...

pelegri@ucbvax.ARPA (Eduardo Pelegri Llopart) (05/13/85)

My girlfriend and I are thinking of getting a tandem. Does anybody
out there have any information/experience with them? In particular
what brands have tandem models? Are they as expensive as they seem
to be? (min about 1200$) Is that the reason why I see so few of them
around? Anything to avoid?

thanks,		eduardo
	(ucbvax!pelegri)
	(pelegri@ucbvax)

kehoe@reed.UUCP (Dave Kehoe) (05/14/85)

The best tandems are made by Santana, in northern
California.  They're expensive, but less expensive
and better quality than the imports.
The only inexpensive good tandem is made by
Gitane, and (while the dollar is still strong)
sells for around $500-600.

marcum@rhino.UUCP (Alan M. Marcum) (05/15/85)

In article <ucbvax.6939> pelegri@ucbvax.UUCP (Eduardo pelegri Llopart) writes:
>                                                     In particular
>what brands have tandem models? Are they as expensive as they seem
>to be?
>thanks,		eduardo
>	(ucbvax!pelegri)
>	(pelegri@ucbvax)

I purchased a tandem a few years ago.  Like Eduardo, I'm single
(was then, still am); I got it so I could teach my then-SO
("Significant Other") to ride a reasonable bicycle.

I bought a Motobecane, which listed for around $800-$1000, if I
recall.  I've upgraded the components considerably, including:

	- TA triple with Suntour New Winner gears, half-step+granny
	- Changed Atom hub brake to an Arai external drum brake
	- Upgraded brake pads
	- Ideale saddles
	- Eclipse racks, front and rear
	- Phil Wood sealed bearing 48-spoke hubs
	- Wheels with alloy rims, 48-spoke, cross-5
	- Specialized Tandem tires

With an astounding bit of good timing, I just happened on the
bicycle on sale, and ended up with the whole thing for a pretty
good price (don't remember exact details).

Regarding brands in general, you might want to check out the 1985
Buyers' Annual from _Bicycle_Guide_.  There's a section
specifically on tandems (page 72), and an article on the Santana
Elan ("Tandeming on a Budget," page 94).  The tandem section
shows prices from $1275 (Santan Elan) through $3200 (Moots Tandem);
it doesn't show the Motobecane, nor the Gitane, nor the Richard
Jackson, nor ......., but it might be a starting point.

Another good starting point would be a local bike shop.  Call
around to find one that understands tandems (for example,
Wheelsmith in Palo Alto -- that's in California, for all you
folks who don't recognize), and then go visit.

Yes, indeed, tandems are expensive.  If you're at all serious
about it, around $1000 is probably a bare minimum, if you're
looking at multispeed, derailleur equipped, reasonably rideable
tandems.  I recall Schwinn at least used to make a single speed
tandem, that was akin to their $100 single.

Tandeming is lots and lots of fun.  I've always felt a trmendous
sense of teamwork when riding one, especially up tough hills or
around tight corners.  You can talk easily, needn't worry about
separation at traffic lights, and are always riding together (so
no one worries about "holding someone back").  It's always fun to
get those stares and "Oh, look, Mommy, a two-bike!" remarks from
kids!
--
Alan M. Marcum		Fortune Systems, Redwood City, California
...!ihnp4!fortune!rhino!marcum

jkl@asgb.UUCP (Jennifer Longstaff) (05/18/85)

> My girlfriend and I are thinking of getting a tandem. Does anybody
> out there have any information/experience with them?

I have had my tandem for almost three years and I have decided to sell
it.  The biggest reason for me not to have a tandem is that I am lighter
than all my tandem partners and the lighter person must ride in back.  I
have found that it drives me nuts to ride in back and trust the complete
control of the bike (steering, braking, cadence) to the front rider.
If your girlfriend will be riding on the back (which she will if she's
lighter than you), make sure she understands this very well, or else
she'll have a miserable time and your tandem rides will turn into big
arguments.
>			      In particular what brands have tandem
> models? Are they as expensive as they seem to be? (min about 1200$)
> Is that the reason why I see so few of them around?

Tandems are definitely expensive;  but think of the work that goes into
putting together a structurally sound bicycle to hold two people yet be
as light (almost) as a single.  If you get a "clunker" (heavy, one speed)
tandem you'll spend much less.  If you want 10 speeds and a good brake
on the rear wheel drum, prepare to shell out the $.  My peugeot tandem
is about 10 years old and I expect to sell it for $800.  (any takers in
Boulder, CO?)  Maybe tandems are more expensive since there's not much
demand for them and therefore they're not mass-produced like singles.

I'd suggest buying a used one (look in your local want ads, or go to a
bike shop where they might be sold on consignment) and make sure you
and your girlfriend enjoy it enough before you decide to spend so much
on a new one.  And MAKE SURE the frame size is right for you: the front
must fit you and the back must fit her.  I mean the frame size itself;
don't assume you can just raise or lower the seat to make up for the wrong
sized frame.

Jennifer Longstaff -- Burroughs Advanced Systems Group -- Boulder, CO
 sdcsvax!bmcg!asgb!jkl  or   ....hao!asgb!jkl

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (05/18/85)

> My girlfriend and I are thinking of getting a tandem. Does anybody
> out there have any information/experience with them? ...
>
> thanks,		eduardo
> 	(ucbvax!pelegri)

     I gather that a tandem is a "bicycle built for two"; if not, ignore the
rest of this message.

     At age approx 15, when visiting my dad and step-mother/kids, my brother
and I accompanied them on a bicycle ride around Lake Nokomis(sp?) in
Minneapolis, Minn.  My brother and I shared a tandem and we switched off on
who rode on front.  I enjoyed riding on front, but didn't like riding on back
because I have a phobia about falling off a bicycle(the "back" handlebars are
bolted in place) dating from my learning days.  Well, anyway, about half-way
around the lake, with me on front, we came upon that menace to bicycling, the
DOG.  When I finally convinced my brother that the dog was looking for meal
rather than play, we actually out-ran the beast.  Also, this was a good-sized
dog, one that could be saddled and ridden if memory serves me correctly.

     Don't know anything about cost since that particular bicycle was
rented, but it was a joy to ride at least on front; it was nice to have
a bicycle that was not underpowered.

				    From the alter ego of--
				    Kchula-Rrit

reid@Glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (05/20/85)

> I have had my tandem for almost three years and I have decided to sell
> it.  The biggest reason for me not to have a tandem is that I am lighter
> than all my tandem partners and the lighter person must ride in back.  I
> have found that it drives me nuts to ride in back and trust the complete
> control of the bike (steering, braking, cadence) to the front rider.
>
> Jennifer Longstaff -- Burroughs Advanced Systems Group -- Boulder, CO
>  sdcsvax!bmcg!asgb!jkl  or   ....hao!asgb!jkl

From time to time the Wheelsmith store here in Palo Alto has side-by-side
tandem bicycles for sale. These are (like many good tandems) handmade, and
cost around $1500, but hey, talk about equality! As Rick Hjertberg (the
affable guru of Wheelsmith) told me when I was picking my jaw up off the
floor after first seeing this machine, "imagine being able to talk in
whispers to the person you're riding with."

This machine has two wheels and two side-by-side seats. The cranks are
arranged like the crankshaft in an engine; each person sits entirely on one
side of the bicycle frame. Each person has a set of handlebars, but only the
left-hand handlebars actually turn. They steer the bike via a chain/gear
system. The craftsmanship and material quality of the machine is about what
you would expect from a $1500 bicycle, namely perfect.

I have ridden one for about 90 seconds (Rick let me take it around the block
with a friend). It is without a doubt the most enjoyable "Sunday afternoon
in the park" vehicle I have ever experienced. I have no idea how it would
perform in the mountains. Also on the downside, it is very difficult (but
not impossible) to ride one of these beasts by ones' self.

Me, I own a Schwinn 5-speed tandem outfitted with a baby seat. "A bicycle
built for 2.5". Much more affordable, but the rider in the back doesn't see
much.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

blb@cbscc.UUCP (Ben Branch) (05/20/85)

Why does the lighter person ride in back? Is this an unbreakable rule or
a convention? I always thought that it might be more practical for the
*taller* person to ride in back since they could see over/around the
person in front better that way -- but taller would be heavier most of
the time ....

jimd@iddic.UUCP (Jim Delwiche) (05/21/85)

The heavier rider should always be in front...

The reason for this is that the stoker can impart some steering effect
by leaning, and this is undesireable.  If the larger rider is the driver,
he or she can muscle the bike where he/she wants it, and the effect of the
stoker's weight is minimized.

On the subject of cost of tandems: what you're paying for is safety.  A
top quality tandem like the Santana is built for strength.  Stiffness is
very important on a tandem, especially in high speed descents, and can
only be had by good frame design and the use of oversize tubing and fork
blades.  Oversize tubing, in turn, means lugless construction, since
lugs are not available for these tubes, so there's a lot of
crafstsmanship involved.  The multiple brakes and bulletproof 48 spoke
wheels are some other features with safety implications.  All it takes is
one fast descent and you'll know your money was well spent.

marcum@rhino.UUCP (Alan M. Marcum) (05/28/85)

In article <2009@iddic.UUCP> jimd@iddic.UUCP (Jim Delwiche) writes:

>The heavier rider should always be in front...
>The reason for this is that the stoker can impart some steering effect
>by leaning, and this is undesireable.  If the larger rider is the driver,
>he or she can muscle the bike where he/she wants it...

My most frequent stoker weighs about 100 lbs; I'm about 150.  If
she leans unexpectedly, it's TOUGH to counter.  Yes, indeed, if
she were heavier, it would be even more difficult.  However,
riding a tandem is, among other things, an exercise in *COOPERATION*!
If you cooperate, the heavier rider can ride in the back.

There was an article in, I think, _Bicycling_ a couple years back
about someone who built his own tandem.  He was very tall, his
wife quite short; she wanted to be able to see.  Their tandem had
the taller rider as stoker.

By the way, for those concerned about "trusting" the captain: if
you really want to, you can always put brakes and shifters at the
stoker position, and just have the captain steer.  If you still
don't trust that, figure out a way to ride up front.