[net.bicycle] Bicycle Touring Shoes

mancello@acf4.UUCP (Dominic Mancello) (05/21/85)

Does anyone have any experiences they would like to discuss with regard to
bicycle touring shoes such as the Cannondale, Avocets, the new Nike Velo, etc.?
Opinions (both positive and negative) regarding comfort, stiffness, durability,
adherence to the pedal cage, etc., would be appreciated.

Dominic Mancello  (cmcl2!acf4!mancello)

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (05/23/85)

In article <3010002@acf4.UUCP> mancello@acf4.UUCP (Dominic Mancello) writes:

>Does anyone have any experiences they would like to discuss with regard to
>bicycle touring shoes such as the Cannondale, Avocets, the new Nike Velo, etc.?

I have been using the Avocet 20's for about two months now...

They are touring shoes with a steel shank from ball to heel, an
eternal nut integrated heel strap, ridges on ball to catch pedal, a raised
upper to walk on, and a sturdy toe peice to resist wear from the traps

The shoes work reasonably well, they allow about eight degrees of freedom
which is enough to keep you from banging parts of the anatomy against the
bike. This still aloows some toe in toe out preference..
There is no internal arch support so for walking it isn't the bee's knees
and i get a little tender on the outside of the foot sometimes, the shoes
don't wrap the foot, but they do breathe well..
The price ($60 CDN was a little high, but in the states it probably isn't
too bad...
They don't have half sizes past 9 or so ( I take 10 & 1/2 EE ) which
means some lack of flexibility for what is meant to be a tight fit..
Since they don't offer width fittings I had to take an 11 which means
I don't go to the fron of the shoe
I have never tried cleats so i can't offer a comparison, but I am in general
happy....

--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

kfl@hoxna.UUCP (Kenton Lee) (05/24/85)

xxx
I have 2 suggestions.  First and foremost, make sure they fit well.
This rules out mail order shoes.  Second, get the stiffest pair you
can find.  I have a new pair of Avocet Model 30's (their stiffest
maodel).  They give good pedal grip, but feel mushy.  They're
nothing like my cleated Diadoras.
--
Kenton Lee
Bell Labs - WB

wew@mgweed.UUCP (Ed Weiss) (05/28/85)

I have a pair of Bata Bikers which are now four years old.  I think I
paid $15 for them then and they are still available through Bike Nashbar
for about the same amount. I don't think there is a better buy!!!
They are a narrow shoe, similar to cleated shoes so the feeling and
comfort are similar. Stiffness is good although cleated shoes are
stiffer. On a 1500 mile, 10 day trip a friend of mine experienced
some extreme foot problems with a running type shoe. We stopped at
a bike shop, bought Bata Bikers for $18, and his problems ended!
I don't know of a more durable biking shoe. Mine are four years old
and show wear only in the area of the toe straps ( this area is
reinforced with rubber).  I now use cleated shoes for most riding,
but the first year they were my only shoes (I rode about 7500 miles
that year) and now I use them in rain and during the winter when
I ride rollers and on special rides where some amount of walking
will be encountered. The only diadvantage is they are not cleated
shoes and therefore if you are accustomed to pulling up, you will
likely pull out of the toe straps.  It is possible to crank down
on your straps, however this leads to crunched feet and the
associated dicomfort. If I'm nearing a hill or situation that
requires some heavy work, I'll tighten the straps temporarily.
These shoes are not the latest in fashion design (or maybe they
are depending where your coming from!), but dollar for doillar
they are the best all around cycling shoe.