[net.bicycle] Racing seats

everett@hp-pcd.UUCP (everett) (05/21/85)

/***************************************/

I personally just switched (2 months ago) from a Cinelli Buffalo (circa
1981) to a Concor.  I praise the day I made that purchase.  The Concor is worth
about 30 more miles/ride than the Cinelli.  My posterior is very happy this
year.  And, believe it or not, so is my back, neck and calves (though this
could be due to a change in position from the installation of the new
seat.)

Keith M.
HP PCD
hplabs!hp-pcd!kam

mueller@utah-gr.UUCP (Tim Mueller) (05/21/85)

Since there has been some discussion about seats recently, I was
wondering if I could get some comments on racing style seats. I've
been riding on a Avocet Racing II (older model) and it is giving me
fits on longer rides (40-50 miles). During criteriums or shorter
training rides it's not too bad, but I'm afraid to ride in a road
race since I don't think my ... well, you know ... will make it.
Maybe I just need more training, but I'm thinking about a new seat.

Any comments on the Avocet or other racing saddles? Selle Turbo?
San Marco Concor? Vetta ?

Tim Mueller
University of Utah
mueller@utah-20.ARPA
{ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!mueller

--
Tim Mueller
University of Utah

kfl@hoxna.UUCP (Kenton Lee) (05/23/85)

xxx
Most saddle problems, including numbness you-know-where, are caused
by improper saddle height.  Try lowering your saddle an inch or
two.  A good saddle will conform to your bottom, spreading your
weight, especially around the two pressure points at the bottom of
your hip bone.  If you saddle is doing this, your problem is almost
surely caused by stretching for the peddles.
--
Kenton Lee
Bell Labs - WB

robertk@tekig.UUCP (Robert Kaires) (05/24/85)

In article <509@hoxna.UUCP> kfl@hoxna.UUCP (Kenton Lee) writes:
>xxx
>Most saddle problems, including numbness you-know-where, are caused
>by improper saddle height.  Try lowering your saddle an inch or
>two.  A good saddle will conform to your bottom, spreading your
>weight, especially around the two pressure points at the bottom of
>your hip bone.  If you saddle is doing this, your problem is almost
>surely caused by stretching for the peddles.
>--
>Kenton Lee
>Bell Labs - WB
>ihnp4!wbscc!kfl   or   ihnp4!hoxna!kfl

In my experience improper saddle height will more likely cause lower
back problems (read:pain) and knee problems. Both of these are caused
by "stretching for the peddles". Numbness "you-know-where" is more
likely caused by  improper seat angle and/or improper seat position
fore/aft. Seat angle should be level to slightly downward (with respect
to the front) for men. (level to slightly upward for women as I
understand). Improper seat position fore/aft will cause you to
sit on the "wrong part of the seat".

era@hao.UUCP (Ed Arnold) (05/29/85)

> xxx
> Most saddle problems, including numbness you-know-where, are caused
> by improper saddle height.  Try lowering your saddle an inch or
> two.  A good saddle will conform to your bottom, spreading your
> weight, especially around the two pressure points at the bottom of
> your hip bone.  If you saddle is doing this, your problem is almost
> surely caused by stretching for the peddles.

You-know-where numbness can also be the result of the angle of the
seat.  When I was having this problem, I asked a friend, who cured
his by adjusting the seat angle.  Sure 'nuff, I angled mine up a
little more and the problems went away.
--

Ed Arnold * NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research)
PO Box 3000 * Boulder, CO  80307-3000 * 303-497-1253

guy@sdcc12.UUCP (Guy A. Lewis) (06/12/85)

  I put a concor saddle on my touring bike 2 years ago just before I
  went on a cross country trip. The concor is the best seat that I have
  ever tried, and I work in a bike shop so I get to try alot of seats.
  In my opinion the concor is the only seat to buy!

			Guy A. Lewis