[net.bicycle] Unicycles

dikiw@mmintl.UUCP (Diki Wozniak) (06/10/85)

I am considering buying a unicycle, as I have finally learned how to juggle :-)

Is there anyone on the net.bicycle who fools around with such things?  Several
questions:

Any brand better than others?  Cycle Pro and Schwinn are the only ones I recall
seeing?

20 vs. 24" wheel?  What are the advantages of either.

Lastly, is it possible to save some cash buy building your own wheel?  How are the cranks connected.  I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

braver@ucbvax.ARPA (Michael Braverman) (06/14/85)

In article <447@mmintl.UUCP> dikiw@mmintl.UUCP (Diki Wozniak) writes:
>I am considering buying a unicycle, as I have finally learned how to juggle :-)
>Several questions:
>Any brand better than others?
>20 vs. 24" wheel?  What are the advantages of either.
>Lastly, is it possible to save some cash buy building your own wheel?
>How are the cranks connected?

	In unicycling circles, Schwinn has earned a reputation as making the
best unicycles.  I have one which I've ridden a few hundered miles in the
past two years and it has given me no problems.  Unfortunately, Schwinn
stopped making unicycles a year or two ago.  It seems that they were only
being sold in certain pockets of the country, so Schwinn decided to discontinue
making them (although my local Schwinn dealer says that there has been such
a demand for them that Schwinn may start producing them again).
	I'm aware of two other companies making unicycles; Cyclepro and Miyata.
Having never ridden either, I won't give an opinion.  They are, however, less
expensive than Schwinn unicycles were the last time they were sold (in case
you try to buy a used one).  I saw a Cyclepro advertised in a nashbar catalog
for about $60.  The Miyatas run about $70-90.
	A 24" wheel is good if you are planning any long distance riding.
With a 20" wheel your legs fly around a lot for little distance gained.
On the flip side, its easier to get up hills with the 20" wheel (its like
using a smaller front gear on a bicycle).  In fact, I have done all my riding
on a 20" wheel, so its not all that bad.  If you are planning to do juggling
on your unicycle, I suggest the 20" wheel since you'll have greater
maneuverability (I learned to juggle after learning to unicycle).
	I don't know about building wheels.  The Schwinns have cottered cranks.
The Miyata's come both cottered and cotterless (the most expensive version).
I have no information on the Cyclepro.
	Good luck.

				Michael Braverman

braver@ucbvax.ARPA (Michael Braverman) (06/14/85)

In article <447@mmintl.UUCP> dikiw@mmintl.UUCP (Diki Wozniak) writes:
>I am considering buying a unicycle, as I have finally learned how to juggle :-)
>Several questions:
>Any brand better than others?
>20 vs. 24" wheel?  What are the advantages of either.
>Lastly, is it possible to save some cash buy building your own wheel?
>How are the cranks connected?

	In unicycling circles, Schwinn has earned a reputation as making the
best unicycles.  I have one which I've ridden a few hundered miles in the
past two years and it has given me no problems.  Unfortunately, Schwinn
stopped making unicycles a year or two ago.  It seems that they were only
being sold in certain pockets of the country, so Schwinn decided to discontinue
making them (although my local Schwinn dealer says that there has been such
a demand for them that Schwinn may start producing them again).
	I'm aware of two other companies making unicycles; Cyclepro and Miyata.
Having never ridden either, I won't give an opinion.  They are, however, less
expensive than Schwinn unicycles were the last time they were sold (in case
you try to buy a used one).  I saw a Cyclepro advertised in a nashbar catalog
for about $60.  The Miyatas run about $70-90.
	A 24" wheel is good if you are planning any long distance riding.
With a 20" wheel your legs fly around a lot for little distance gained.
On the flip side, its easier to get up hills with the 20" wheel (its like
using a smaller front gear on a bicycle).  In fact, I have done all my riding
on a 20" wheel, so its not all that bad.  If you are planning to do juggling
on your unicycle, I suggest the 20" wheel since you'll have greater
maneuverability (I learned to juggle after learning to unicycle).
	I don't know about building wheels.  The Schwinns have cottered cranks.
The Miyata's come both cottered and cotterless (the most expensive version).
I have no information on the Cyclepro.
	Good luck.

				Michael Braverman
				braver@ucbvax

donn@utah-gr.UUCP (Donn Seeley) (06/20/85)

I'm afraid it's been years since I last owned a unicycle, but I do have
some advice:  Buy a really cheap one for your training, because you
will turn it into scrap...  Fortunately the one I destroyed belonged to
my brother (he got it for Christmas and wasn't determined enough to
continue past the first scraped knees and elbows).  My own unicycle
survived more or less intact until my mother sold it in a garage sale
while I was out of town one summer (sigh).

Good luck,

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

steven@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (06/29/85)

In article <1480@utah-gr.UUCP> donn@utah-gr.UUCP (Donn Seeley) writes:
>I'm afraid it's been years since I last owned a unicycle, but I do have
>some advice:  Buy a really cheap one for your training, because you
>will turn it into scrap...

I missed the beginning of this, so am picking up here in ignorance.

When I was in college, a friend and I bought a good unicycle.  Neither
of us knew how to ride one at the time.  We did not, however, turn it
into scrap.  The reason is the width of the corridors in the dorms!
They are around four feet wide, just perfect for holding yourself up
while wobbling on a unicycle!

If you can find someplace to learn that will provide the same kind of
support on both sides, you'll learn quickly and with minimal damage to
either rider or vehicle.
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation, Mt. View, CA