[net.bicycle] Theft Resistance of U-shaped bicycle locks

slipson@bbncca.ARPA (Samuel R. Lipson) (06/24/85)

	I'd  like to hear from people who have had bicycles stolen due
to the failure of their  "high-security"  (Citadel/  Kryptonite  type)
lock, and not the "immovable object" your bike was locked to.

	I'm not sure whether the Kryptonite/Citadel story is hype, and
I'd like to find out.  It certainly appears it would be harder to  use
bolt-cutters  on one of these than a chain or cable, but I have a hard
time believing they're only succeptable to "200 lbs of cutting/welding
equipment", as some of the advertising suggests.

	I've  been  told  (by my local bicycle "entrepreneurs") that a
Kryptonite lock can be shattered by  applying  dry  ice  [did  I  just
encourage  some would be bicycle thief?].  Does this only apply to the
dark colored ones on sunny days (i.e. temperature difference),  or  is
it a general characteristic of "hardened steel"?

	My  local  bike  shops swear by the Kryptonite locks, but I've
known people who think the Citadel is the only one worth  using.   Are
these  profit/religion  motivated people, or is there some fact behind
their opinions?

	General comments on  bicycle  (and  "fixed"  accessory)  theft
prevention  are  welcomed.   (Using  typical  outdoor bicycle racks or
typical city immovable object -- indoor/controlled  environment  makes
the problem less difficult.)

	I will post a summary.

	--Sam Lipson

	{decvax, ihnp4}!bbnccv!slipson

tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) (06/27/85)

In article <1468@bbncca.ARPA> slipson@bbncca.ARPA (Samuel R. Lipson) writes:

    	I'd  like to hear from people who have had bicycles stolen due
    to the failure of their  "high-security"  (Citadel/  Kryptonite  type)
    lock, and not the "immovable object" your bike was locked to.

I've heard tales that a Kryptonite can be broken using liquid nitrogen, which
is much more believable than dry ice.  No proof for this, though.

My last lock wasn't a Kryptonite, and I regret it.
--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,randvax}!uscvax!tli

kenh@tekcbi.UUCP (Ken Hillen) (06/27/85)

In article <1468@bbncca.ARPA> slipson@bbncca.ARPA (Samuel R. Lipson) writes:

>	I'd  like to hear from people who have had bicycles stolen due
>to the failure of their  "high-security"  (Citadel/  Kryptonite  type)
>lock, and not the "immovable object" your bike was locked to.
>
>	I'm not sure whether the Kryptonite/Citadel story is hype, and
>I'd like to find out.  It certainly appears it would be harder to  use
>bolt-cutters  on one of these than a chain or cable, but I have a hard
>time believing they're only succeptable to "200 lbs of cutting/welding
>equipment", as some of the advertising suggests.
>
>	I've  been  told  (by my local bicycle "entrepreneurs") that a
>Kryptonite lock can be shattered by  applying  dry  ice  [did  I  just
>encourage  some would be bicycle thief?].  Does this only apply to the
>dark colored ones on sunny days (i.e. temperature difference),  or  is
>it a general characteristic of "hardened steel"?
>
>	My  local  bike  shops swear by the Kryptonite locks, but I've
>known people who think the Citadel is the only one worth  using.   Are
>these  profit/religion  motivated people, or is there some fact behind
>their opinions?
>
>	General comments on  bicycle  (and  "fixed"  accessory)  theft
>prevention  are  welcomed.   (Using  typical  outdoor bicycle racks or
>typical city immovable object -- indoor/controlled  environment  makes
>the problem less difficult.)
>
>	I will post a summary.
>
>	--Sam Lipson
>
>	{decvax, ihnp4}!bbnccv!slipson

A friend of mine once commented (as he was staring at the Kryptonite lock
strapped to my rear rack) that all bicycles are destined to weigh 50 lbs.
A 20 lb. bike needs a 30 lb. lock, a 30 lb. bike needs a 20 lb lock, etc.

My solution is to keep my bike in my office, the lock is for real
emergencies when I CAN'T talk the bike indoors.

Ken Hillen
Tektronix, Inc.
Beaverton, OR

mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) (07/08/85)

> I've decided not to get any of the U shaped locks  because there just
> don't seem to be enough places to use them around here.

You are indeed fortunate to live somewhere without the omnipresence
of parking meters.