[net.bicycle] Mounting/Dismounting with cleated shoes...

mancello@acf4.UUCP (Dominic Mancello) (07/02/85)

I would be interested to hear the different methods you cyclists have developed
in mounting and dismounting a bicycle with cleated racing shoes. In particular,
what fast and safe ways have you developed when confronted with an urban area
which is highly populated with moving vehicles, traffic lights, and pedestr-
rians?

For example, when I cycle through Manhattan and I have to stop for a
red light (yes, some of us bikers still stop for red lights) I take my right
foot off of the pedal and drop it to the ground.  The problem comes when
I have to reinsert my right foot into the toe clip and onto the pedal.  I
find that it is impossible for me to position my right foot onto the pedal
with the cleat engaging the rear of the pedal cage without assistance of
my right hand reaching down and holding the pedal upright for a second until
I correctly position my foot on the pedal.  Any suggestions???

							Dominic Mancello
							(cmcl2!acf4!mancello)

fred@varian.UUCP (Fred Klink) (07/03/85)

> I would be interested to hear the different methods you cyclists have developed
> in mounting and dismounting a bicycle with cleated racing shoes. In particular,
> what fast and safe ways have you developed when confronted with an urban area
> which is highly populated with moving vehicles, traffic lights, and pedestr-
> rians?
>
> find that it is impossible for me to position my right foot onto the pedal
> with the cleat engaging the rear of the pedal cage without assistance of
> my right hand reaching down and holding the pedal upright for a second until
> I correctly position my foot on the pedal.  Any suggestions???

My technique and that of people I ride with is to catch the back edge of
the pedal with the toe of the shoe and flip it upright while inserting the
foot.  It sounds complex but its really pretty simple after a little
practice.  I still occasionally miss on the first try but I *never* have
to reach over and turn the pedal up with my hand.

This is helped by using Campagnolo pedals and toe clips (or their
cheaper imitators), since they have a little V-shaped extension on the
back side of the pedal that aids in picking it upright with the shoe
toe.  The clips have a similar extension that comes back between the pedal
axle and the front edge of the pedal to guide the shoe into the clip
(instead of jamming it into the front plate of the pedal).  Go to the
shop and look at them-- its easier than explaining it.  Also, are you
using cycling shoes?  Seems to me the rigid soles of a cycling shoe
would make it easier to do the flip and insert action I'm describing.

A personal note:  I've never had a "panic" situation on a bike where
using cleats caused any problems.  I've always been able to get my
foot out (I broke the toe strap once, but got my foot out!).  Practice
reaching down and popping open the quick release on the strap in one
quick motion.

msw@drux3.UUCP (Mike Walpole) (07/05/85)

You got it right.  Using your hand to hold the pedal is a technique
that racers use to get their foot in quicker.  Another method is to
learn to flick the pedal with your foot. (Actually you flick the
pedal quill with your cleat.)  Anothe thing that you should learn
to do is to pedal  with the pedal upside down.  This way you can
pedal 4 - 6 pedal strokes before you try to put in your foot.  This
will lesson the chance of falling over when you put your foot in
the pedal

Mike Walpole

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (07/08/85)

In article <3010003@acf4.UUCP> mancello@acf4.UUCP (Dominic Mancello) writes:
>... interested ... in mounting and dismounting a bicycle with cleated racing
>shoes.

Of course REAL CYCLISTS never remove their feet from the clips until they
are through with the ride!  (Don't believe me?  Watch some of the
Manhattan bicycle messengers -- and "hello" to any Central Delivery alumnii
who might be on the net!)

>For example, when I... stop for a red light... I take my right foot off of
>the pedal and drop it to the ground.  The problem comes when I have to
>reinsert my right foot into the toe clip and onto the pedal.

Many pedals have a small "kick tab" prjecting from bottom rear of the pedal.
Push off with your left leg. (which is still strapped in)  As the right pedal
comes to the top, tap the "kick tab" with your right toe, causing the pedal
to flip right-side-up, then shove your foot in.  Any worth-while cleat should
have a ramp on the toe side to keep the cleat from hanging up on either the
rear or front edge of the pedal cage.  Perhaps your cleats are mounted
backwards?

With the "kick tab" on the pedals, and the ramp on the cleats, getting in is
just a matter of practice.  Once you've got that mastered, you can begin
practicing rocking back and forth against a pebble, or small road surface
irregularities, and never have to worry about getting back in.  Who says you
need a track bike to stand still?
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

szepesi@fluke.UUCP (Les Szepesi) (07/11/85)

> I would be interested to hear the different methods you cyclists have developed
> in mounting and dismounting a bicycle with cleated racing shoes. In particular,
> what fast and safe ways have you developed when confronted with an urban area
> which is highly populated with moving vehicles, traffic lights, and pedestr-
> rians?

I just give the pedal a tap with my toe to spin it to the upright position and
stick my toe in on the fly. I can then feel my cleat engage with minor movements
of my foot. (If I can't do the latter, it's almost invariably due to worn-down
plastic cleats or junk in the cleat's groove.) This takes a little practice,
but is just as fast as reaching down with your hand. It also elimates having
to use you hand when it may be needed for control. (e.g. in a pack at the
start of a race)

If you think *that* is hard, try it with a fixed gear sometime... (:-))

--
Les Szepesi		decvax\
John Fluke Mfg Co.	ihnp4  >!uw-beaver\