[net.bicycle] bike horns...

kjl@bbn-meta (07/31/85)

From: Ken Lebowitz <kjl@bbn-meta>

I was wondering how many riders use horns, whistles, klaxons, etc. when
riding in traffic?  Also, what do people think are the correct situations to
use them in?

Ken Lebowitz
BBN Laboratories
Cambridge, MA

ARPA:	kjl@bbn-clxx.ARPA
UUCP:	...!linus!bbncca!kjl
CSNET:	kjl%bbn-clxx@csnet-relay

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (08/01/85)

> I was wondering how many riders use horns, whistles, klaxons, etc. when
> riding in traffic?  Also, what do people think are the correct situations to
> use them in?
>
> Ken Lebowitz

*** AC T        YOUR          AGE ***

I use a *LOUD* horn quite frequently.  In fact, it saved my butt a couple
of days ago, discouraging a farm dog from running out in front of the
High School Brats in the rat Camaro that was trying to pass me and
avoid the dog at the same time.

I posted an article about a year ago on how to build a *LOUD* horn.  For
the sake of those who missed it, I'll repeat the recipe.

Go to Radio  Hack and pick up two "six volt, low current buzzers" and
two nine-volt battery clips.  Connect the buzzers in parallel and
the batteries in series.  That's right, you're driving six-volt
buzzers at 18 volts.  I guarantee they won't burn up, but they will
be EXTREMELY LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS, especially if you turn the tuning
screw on the back of one of the buzzers so it sounds awful with the
other one.  Mechanical assembly is left as an exercise for the
student.  I mounted mine on the front reflector tongue, with
a button clamped to the handlebars just right of the stem.

Appropriate situations for use are whenever you think somebody doesn't
see you; when you're passing a Walkman-toting jogger on the bike trail;
when dogs take off after you; when overtaking a slower bike on a narrow
path; and especially when some obnoxious bum blares his horn at you
even though you heard his stinking Buick coming from half a mile
back.
 __
/  \
\__/