	10	Claude Moreau	   -2:41

It's a black day for Italy
The winners of stage 6, 36.35 mile tt

	1	Bert Oosterboch	 1:18:34	27.72mph
	2	Daniel Willems	 1:19:19
	3	Julian Gorospe	 1:19:41
	6	Sean Kelley	 1:20:03
	8	Phil Anderson	 1:20:41

To me the results look very close-it could be anyone's race.  But I am just
an ignorant peasant.

Richard Loken

user@pur-ee.UUCP (07/09/83)

A friend of mine from Grenoble told me that Hinault would not be riding
this year (obviously) because of a bad knee; he also told me that Greg
Lemond would be making his debut this year, but I have neither seen nor
heard about him. The information I have to keep up to date on the
standings in the Tour is pretty terse -- does anybody know anything
more about this?

Good to see some interest.

				tom kirk
				(...!pur-ee!kirkt)

user@pur-ee.UUCP (07/09/83)

A friend of mine from Grenoble told me that Hinault would not be riding
this year (obviously) because of a bad knee; I was also told that Greg
Lemond would make his debut this year, but I haven't seen of heard anything
of him. Any followers know about this?

tech@auvax (Richard Loken) (07/13/83)

----- News saved at Wed Jul 13 09:53:37 1983

At the end of the eleventh stage.  Bagneres-de-Luchon to Florence 109.4 miles.

Joop Zoetemelk and Jean Francois Rodriguez were tossed out for flunking their
dope test.  They received a $470. fine, a ten minute penalty, and last place
for the stage where they flunked the test.  Team officials aren't very fast-
these penalties are for the second and third stages respectively.

Several members of the Columbian amateur team place in the top ten in the tenth
stage-that and the winning speed of 19 mph lead one to suspect the stage
was rather hilly.

	overall standings

	1	Pascal Simon		53:03:15
	2	Laurent Fignon		   -4:22
	3	Jean-Rene Barnaudeau	   -5:34
	4	Sean Kelley		   -5:57
	5	Jacques Michaud		   -7:16
	6	Pedro Delgado		   -7:32
	7	Marc Madiot		   -7:36
	8	Robert Alban		   -9:09
	9	Phil Anderson		   -9:21
	10	Joachim Agostinho	   -9:21

	stage 11 standings

	1	Reges Clere		 4:27:06	24.71mph
	2	Christian Jourdan	    -:03
	3	Frits Pirard		    -:05
	10	Pedro Delgado		    -:33

	Richard Loken

tech@auvax.UUCP (07/15/83)

The only American in this year is Jacques Boyer who has done fairly well I
think (my anti American associate here thinks otherwise).  I beleive Greg
Lemonde was to enter but didn't in the end - Bicycling! said something to
that effect.

Richard Loken

jeff@dual.UUCP (Jeff Houston) (07/12/84)

Ok folks, the Tour De France has had its first 12 stages ridden and the
two American riders (riding for European sponsered teams) are doing quite
well.  The Tour is now into the mountain phase - with many long stages
of well over 200 Kilos to go!

Current standings:

1. Vincent Barteau (France)	Over all time: 54:17:21
2. Maurice Le Guilloux (France)  		   7:47 behind
3. Laurent Fignon (France)			  10:25 behind
4. Gerard Veldscholten (Holland)		  12:28 behind
5. Bernard Hinault (France)			  12:38 behind
6. Phil Anderson (Austrialia)			  13:29 behind
7. Greg Lemond (US)				  14:23 behind
8. Sean Kelly (Ireland)				  14:31 behind
9. Pedro Delgado (Spain)			  14:37 behind
10.Robert Millar (Britian)			  14:47 behind
24.Jonathon Boyer (US)				  20:54 behind

Barteau was in a breakaway that beat the main pack by over 14 minutes on one
of the early stages and has retained the lead since.  Hinault is a three time
winner and will probably be number one again.  All of Fignon, Kelly, Lemond,
and Anderson are possible suprises.  This is Greg Lemonds first Tour and
he is doing quite well, with about half the stages completed.

For those not aware of the Tour, it is held yearly consisting of something
like 25 stages with usually one held per day.  The race is held primarily
in France and the middle stages of the Tour go thru some fierce mountain
terrain.  Stages range from shorter time trial events (30 to 100kms) to
longer events (Up to 350kms).  The winner of the Tour is the man with the
least accumulated time, but there are benefits for placing in the top three
in each stage - these are usually time bonuses which make these places all
that more profitable to shot for each day.

It doesn't look like there are any Italian teams again this year, I think
the Italians and the French are still feuding over rules and other things.
Currently, the US has just Lemond and Boyer riding in the Tour, but the US
is considering sending a sponsered team within the next few years.  Both US
riders are on different sponsered teams, Lemond rides for Renault-Elf Gitane,
but I don't know which team Boyer rides with.

Will keep folks up on Tour results when I see em.

	To quote Bill the Cat, "GACK".

	Jeff Houston
	Dual Systems Corp., Berkeley, CA
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,cbosgd,zehntel,fortune,decwrl}!dual!jeff

mark@gatech.CSNET (Mark Johnson) (07/02/85)

Does anyone have access to more timely/complete Tour de France results
than are generally available in newspapers? I have a friend (Phyllis Hines)
riding for the American women's team and I would like to follow her
progress. I am of course interested in the men's race too.

--
Mark Johnson

(404) 894-2746 		(404) 894-3152

CSNet:	Mark @ GATech
ARPA:	Mark%GATech.CSNet @ CSNet-Relay.ARPA
uucp:	...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-sally}!gatech!mark

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (07/09/85)

In article <1318@drux3.UUCP> msw@drux3.UUCP (Mike Walpole) writes:

>Unless anything significant happens the next posting will be Thursday or
>Friday.  So far CBS has had excellent coverage of the Tour every Sunday.
>			     ^^^^^^^^^
I would use extensive (about forty minutes on Sunday) on the Tour.
The coverage is at best squishy, the human drama, they spent about
ten minutes talking about the cobblestones and the race through hell
and people's psyching up, there was no hard facts. To my mind
coverage is either aimed at people who have no idea about cycling
or for the serious enthusiast. If the former group is the target
then there should me more novice info, if the latter then more info
about the groups and the nastiness (I thought I heard that Anderson
refused to alternate the lead in one break during the week, I don't
know for sure and CBS did not tell me.)  Picture this
colour commentary,
  Theisman is coming back from the center with the ball,
  with gritty determination he throws it to the team member running
  over the green hell of astroturf, some play, right eric, Great Bruce,
  lets have a look at what Theisman had for breakfast...."

Also, they did not mention Steve Bauer once during the broadcast,
I suspect that he won't do as well through the mountains, however
he has owned the white shirt since day one, and may be one of the
best rookies on the tour for a long time, he may even do better then
Lemond on his rookie year on the T de F.
TV can provide good info quickly, but what CBS is giving is not good,

God, this felt good to get out of my system, nut I think I'm just spinning
on rollers......

--
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

		ihnp4!watmath!watarts!mupmalis

mark@gatech.CSNET (Mark Johnson) (08/02/85)

I was not trying to imply that Hinault is the equal of Merckx. I do still
think he will be trying to win his sixth Tour (if he rides another one). I
don't care what he tells the press. I don't think he "owes" Lemond anything.
Lemond was very well paid to do exactly what he did. I would love to see
Hinault ride for Lemond next year but I just can't imagine that it will happen.

I did read in Velo News that Mike Melton will be building all of Lemond's
bikes in the future.

On the Hour record:
   Bike Tech had an interesting article a few months ago comparing performances
of various record holders. Corrections were made for both altitude and bike
technology. I will try to dig it up and post excerpts.