[net.bicycle] Request Info on Touring Bikes under $200

pmn@magic.UUCP (Paul M. Nauman) (07/30/85)

I am looking for recommendations on touring bikes in the $150-$200
range. Has anyone out there recently purchased one ?  Are you
satisfied with your choice ? What ARE the choices ?  I have had
Sekai recommended to me. Any comments ?  Please post to the net. Any

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (08/08/85)

In article <533@magic.UUCP> pmn@magic.UUCP (Paul M. Nauman) writes:

>I am looking for recommendations on touring bikes in the $150-$200
>range. Has anyone out there recently purchased one ?  Are you
>satisfied with your choice ? What ARE the choices ?  I have had
>Sekai recommended to me. Any comments ?  Please post to the net. Any

   I recently helped a friend shop for a (relatively inexpensive) touring
bike.  My opinion, after stopping at 5 stores nearby, was that $250-300
would get you a decent bike.  It seemed to me that as the price went higher,
you got less benefit per dollar (differences in opinion welcome).  She settled
on a Sekai 2400, more because they had it in stock with a color she liked than
because of any vast superiority to anything else in its price range.
  I have [ab]used a Sekai 2000 for over 4 years now, and it hasn't given me any
problems.  Also, they have made a few improvements (e.g. braze-ons) to the
line since I bought mine.  I guess that's a recommendation...
--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster