[net.bicycle] The best hot weather riding tip

antics@druak.UUCP (GeigerL) (08/12/85)

<bugline>
	The biggest letdown to me about hot weather riding is to
suffer the taste of lukewarm or hot water from my plastic water
bottle.  But, there is a simple solution.

	Freeze the water bottle before going riding.  What you get
is slowly defrosted water that is ice-cold and doesn't taste like
plastic (too much).

	In my freezer is a whole array of water bottles filled
at different levels.  If the temperature is only going to be
75(F), then I take a bottle that is only 1/4 ice and fill it
with water.  If I'm starting at 7 in the morning and its 75(F),
then I take two bottles, both completely frozen.

	Anytime someone tries my bottle, they're amazed at how I
got those ice cubes in that tiny hole.  Sigh......

Lisa Geiger			AT&T Information Systems
ihnp4!druak!antics		Denver, Colorado

wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) (08/13/85)

From antics@druak.UUCP (GeigerL) :
> 	The biggest letdown to me about hot weather riding is to
> suffer the taste of lukewarm or hot water from my plastic water
> bottle.  But, there is a simple solution.
>
> 	Freeze the water bottle before going riding.  What you get
> is slowly defrosted water that is ice-cold and doesn't taste like
> plastic (too much).

This is fine for your first water bottle, but what do you do when
you have to refill your bottle on the road?

My solution is to pull a sweatsock over each bottle and soak it.
The evaporative cooling is really quite substantial, especially
if you periodically re-soak the sock.  Note, too, that the water
used to soak the sock need not be of drinkable quality, e.g. you
can dip your bottles in any roadside stream you pass by.

If you don't believe this works, try it!

			Dave Wagner
			University of Washington Comp Sci Department
			wagner@washington.arpa
			{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-wally!wagner

"The surest thing there is is we are riders,
 And though none too successful at it, guiders,
 Through everything presented, land and tide
 And now the very air, of what we ride."
	- Frost

keesan@bbncc5.UUCP (Morris M. Keesan) (08/14/85)

In article <769@druak.UUCP> antics@druak.UUCP (Lisa Geiger) writes:
>	The biggest letdown to me about hot weather riding is to
>suffer the taste of lukewarm or hot water from my plastic water
>bottle.  But, there is a simple solution.
. . .
>	Freeze the water bottle before going riding.  What you get
>is slowly defrosted water that is ice-cold and doesn't taste like
>plastic (too much).

A simpler solution is to buy a Cannondale water bottle.  Standard size ice
cubes easily fit through the wide mouth of the Cannondale, and you can fill
it with whatever percentage of ice you want, rather than worrying about
overfilling the bottle with water and having it crack when it freezes.
--
Morris M. Keesan
keesan@bbn-unix.ARPA