[net.bicycle] waxed chain

powers@noscvax.UUCP (William J. Powers) (08/17/85)

Recently someone posted a good description on the waxing of chains.
My only comment is that she was overly optimistic about the length of
time that a waxed chain can go without servicing.  I believe that she
thought that a waxed chain could go once or twice a year between
servicing.  I have been waxing my chain in the manner in which she
describes (start with a new chain) for about a year.  My expericence
is that I must rewax my chain about every 300 miles and certainly less
than every 500 miles.  With the amount of riding that I do, that means
that I must reservice my chain about every 2-3 weeks.

Bill Powers.

flory@zaphod.UUCP (Trevor Flory) (08/30/85)

In article <1073@noscvax.UUCP> William J. Powers writes:
>        I must rewax my chain about every 300 miles and certainly less
>than every 500 miles.  With the amount of riding that I do, that means
>that I must reservice my chain about every 2-3 weeks.

I think that this is a little more realistic than the once
a year estimate previously posted to this group, certainly
given the climate in which I live.  In fact I find that humidity
and dust also effect the time between waxings: when the wind
on the prairies gets to blowin' and the dust gets to flyin'
I find I need to wax the chain every week or so.  Since these
conditions subside with the onset fall the time between waxings
increases accordingly.

*****
Trevor K. Flory
Develcon Electronics Ltd., Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!alberta!sask!zaphod!flory

"Forgive me Father, Develcon knows not what I do."