[net.bicycle] Squeaking and Aztec Power Pads

matt@absolut.UUCP (09/20/85)

	One of the recommended techniques for stopping brake squeaks
is toeing in the brake pad.  I used to do this by removing the pads and
twisting the calipers with a 15" crescent wrench.
	This has two drawbacks: On cheap OEM brakes (such as Diacompe and
Mafac) you are asking for hairline cracks to develop; on expensive brakes,
not only do you risk cracking a $100 brakeset, it is alse HARD to twist
those suckers (you wouldn't beleive the difference in strength between
a Modolo and a Diacompe set).
	The Aztec brake pads (made by Kool-Stop) remedy this by having concave/
convex washers between the pad and caliper arm which alows toe-in adjustment
during installation. This is how I cured the sqeaking on my Modolos.
	The Aztecs will squeak a bit before they lay down a little rubber;
after that they're fine.
	Unfortunately, they don't have wheel guides, so racers probably won't
be interested. They are available in standard and cantilever versions.

eirik@tekchips.UUCP (Eirik Fuller) (09/24/85)

In article <4300007@absolut.UUCP> matt@absolut.UUCP writes:

>	One of the recommended techniques for stopping brake squeaks
>is toeing in the brake pad.  I used to do this by removing the pads and
>twisting the calipers with a 15" crescent wrench.

Are you sure you used a big enough wrench? I like to leave the pads
on, so I can see what I'm doing. Get (or borrow) the tool Park makes
for this; it goes on perpendicular to the wheel, so you have room to
twist.

>	This has two drawbacks: On cheap OEM brakes (such as Diacompe and
>Mafac) you are asking for hairline cracks to develop; on expensive brakes,
>not only do you risk cracking a $100 brakeset, it is alse HARD to twist
>those suckers (you wouldn't beleive the difference in strength between
>a Modolo and a Diacompe set).

How HARD can it be with a 15" moment arm? A toe-in is a one-time
adjustment, preferably by the mechanic who installs the brake in
the first place (though I wonder about a lot of shops).

>	The Aztec brake pads (made by Kool-Stop) remedy this by having concave/
>convex washers between the pad and caliper arm which alows toe-in adjustment
>during installation. This is how I cured the sqeaking on my Modolos.
>	The Aztecs will squeak a bit before they lay down a little rubber;
>after that they're fine.
>	Unfortunately, they don't have wheel guides, so racers probably won't
>be interested. They are available in standard and cantilever versions.

Warning: be VERY careful before buying Aztec cantilever pads; the ones
I bought were standard pads, with aluminum rods threaded over the top
of the studs. Threaded rods are weak enough when it comes to bending;
the aluminum didn't help. The rod simply cracked during installation.
Luckily, the shop where I bought them was nice enough to take them
back and pass on my complaints to the distributor. I don't know if
Aztec has fixed this problem.