[net.bicycle] Defogging sunglasses

dce@hammer.UUCP (David Elliott) (09/17/85)

It's the rainy season again in Oregon (smart remarks will be met
with facts about how we had a very long, dry summer here), and that
means fogged-up sunglasses.

What methods/products are available to prevent fogging of sunglasses?
I need something that is not only preventative, but doesn't wash
away, since I tend to drip sweat on the insides of the lenses.

For people requiring specifics, I wear non-prescription B&L Ray Bans,
which are glass lenses.

			David Elliott
			tektronix!tekecs!dce

king@kestrel.ARPA (09/20/85)

In article <1503@hammer.UUCP>, dce@hammer.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
> It's the rainy season again in Oregon (smart remarks will be met
> with facts about how we had a very long, dry summer here), and that
> means fogged-up sunglasses.
>
> What methods/products are available to prevent fogging of sunglasses?
> I need something that is not only preventative, but doesn't wash
> away, since I tend to drip sweat on the insides of the lenses.
>
> For people requiring specifics, I wear non-prescription B&L Ray Bans,
> which are glass lenses.
>
> 			David Elliott
> 			tektronix!tekecs!dce

You may not like this, but..

Spit on the surface that fogs!  Get up a good, mucosy glob of spittle
and rub it in well!

Any SCUBA diver will tell you the same thing.

(If you don't like that, try a potato.  If you really can't stand it,
go into a dive shop and ask for a commercial product, but I know
nothing about them, having always used the other alternative.)

-dick

fred@varian.UUCP (Fred Klink) (09/25/85)

> > What methods/products are available to prevent fogging of sunglasses?
> > I need something that is not only preventative, but doesn't wash
> > away, since I tend to drip sweat on the insides of the lenses.

> Spit on the surface that fogs!  Get up a good, mucosy glob of spittle
> and rub it in well!

Early Winters catalogs sell an anti-fogging stuff that works quite well.
I've used it mainly on the visor of my motorcycle helmet in cold
weather.  It dries clear (unlike the other suggestion, above) and a small
bottle lasts a long time.  Early Winters claims it the same stuff NASA
uses on space-suit helmet visors.

Actually, I think they just have a couple guys in a back room spitting
in little bottles and mailing them off to customers :-).