[net.bicycle] net.bicycle.racing?

ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) (09/30/85)

Hello all,
	 After reading net.bicycle I was wondering if there would be an
   interest in starting 'net.bicycle.racing'? Topics for discussion might
  include, but not limited to: training programs and their benefits(intervals,
  weights,rollers...),technique(cornering,climbing,sprinting...),racing
  politics(USCF rules,sponsorships...), results of major races(the Tour,IBC..)
  race types(criterium, road race, time trial, cyclocross), and maybe even
  contacts in other areas(for help in picking races, last minute training...)
	I don't know what is involved in starting up a newsgroup, but if
  there is interest I'm sure it is possible.  Even if you don't race the
  training part might be of interest.
  Please keep discussion to this group or to my ARPAnet address, as I'm
  sending this from a friends account.
						[raig.
  cmacfarlane@bbnccj.arpa

drm@stolaf.UUCP (Dave Marquardt) (10/01/85)

> Hello all,
> 	 After reading net.bicycle I was wondering if there would be an
>    interest in starting 'net.bicycle.racing'? Topics for discussion might
>   include, but not limited to: training programs and their benefits(intervals,
>   weights,rollers...),technique(cornering,climbing,sprinting...),racing
>   politics(USCF rules,sponsorships...), results of major races(the Tour,IBC..)
>   race types(criterium, road race, time trial, cyclocross), and maybe even
>   contacts in other areas(for help in picking races, last minute training...)
> 	I don't know what is involved in starting up a newsgroup, but if
>   there is interest I'm sure it is possible.  Even if you don't race the
>   training part might be of interest.
>   Please keep discussion to this group or to my ARPAnet address, as I'm
>   sending this from a friends account.
> 						[raig.
>   cmacfarlane@bbnccj.arpa

The appropriate place for the things you've mentioned is right here in
net.bicycle.  If the discussion of one particular topic like racing overwhelms
the group, we can push for a new one.  So, send your articles on racing and
training and the other topics above right here to net.bicycle.

	Dave Marquardt
	St. Olaf College
	Northfield, MN   55057
	ihnp4!stolaf!drm

buz@umich.UUCP (Greg Buzzard) (10/01/85)

Since the volume of postings to this group has not been excessive
I prefer to see all conversations related to bicycling stay in one
newsgroup.  Both "kill" files and the "n" key generally keep me from
getting frustrated by conversations that I prefer not to read (and
bicycle racing articles will probably not fall into that group anyway).
These, of course, are just one persons opinions.

						Greg Buzzard
						ihnp4!umich!buz

mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) (10/05/85)

I'd hate to see bicycle racing form a splinter group of net.bicycle.
This is one of the few newsgroups that's informative, relatively
non-repetitive, and just plain interesting to read.  A good part
of what makes this newsgroup interesting to me is the diversity
of bicycling motifs that harmoniously co-exist.  The rate
of submissions is high enough to protect us from the newsgroup
nukers but low enough (and rich enough) to make reading a pleasure,
not a chore.  Let's keep all bicycling topics under one roof
as long as possible.

Mike Lutz
--
Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mjl

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (10/05/85)

In article <71@bbnccv.UUCP> ptraynor@bbnccv.UUCP (Patrick Traynor) writes:
>	 After reading net.bicycle I was wondering if there would be an
>   interest in starting 'net.bicycle.racing'?   ...

I don't think it's a good idea.  The volume of postings in net.bicycle
doesn't warrent splitting the newsgroup.  I'm not a racer, but I don't
mind reading postings related to racing.  As you point out yourself, Patrick,
non racers may want to read about training.  If not, the 'n' key is always
there, and I think most people in this group write good, descriptive Subject
lines.

In any case, I think bicylists should stick together, in communities brought
together via computer as well as elsewhere.  Let's not fragment our
readership and participation.  I enjoy net.bicyle more than other
newsgroups: postings tend to be informative, lively, and to the point,
and free from the silly bickering and wordplay that are common in some
other groups.  We've got a good thing going here; let's not mess with it.

--

-- Jon Krueger
UUCP:	...seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tuba