[net.bicycle] Helmet Query

s264@sol1.UUCP (s264) (10/19/85)

Does anyone have any experience with effective, reasonably comfortable
helmets OTHER  THAN THE BELL BIKER, TOURLITE, OR SKID-LID? Like many
other cyclists, I find most helmets hot and uncomfortable on long
rides (> 80 miles). On *really* long rides, they are pure torture.

The only helmet I have been able to use on long rides is the SkidLid, but
I question its effectiveness. The Bells (I have put in several thousand
miles, in all sorts of weather, with both the old Biker and the newer
model) I find very uncomfortable. (Mostly neck strain, and no, it doesn't
improve with training.)

Would welcome any suggestions. Anyone have any long-term experience with the
Bells and also, say, MSR or Bailen? I have just about given up wearing a
helmet except for commuting and club-riding (more dangerous than long-
distance solitary rides).

-Tim Smith (alias s264)

scott@rochester.UUCP (Michael Scott) (10/21/85)

In article <364@sol1.UUCP> Tim Smith (s264) writes:

>Does anyone have any experience with effective, reasonably comfortable
>helmets OTHER  THAN THE BELL BIKER, TOURLITE, OR SKID-LID?

I have been wearing a Bailen helmet for five years.  I like it very much.
I don't keep track of my mileage, but I commute to work several miles
a day.  My wife and I also do all our shopping by bicycle, and we tour
longer distances (50-100 miles per day) several times a year.

>Like many
>other cyclists, I find most helmets hot and uncomfortable on long
>rides (> 80 miles). On *really* long rides, they are pure torture.

The only time the Bailen really bothers me is when I have to stop
at a long red light in the city in the summer.

At first glance, most people expect the Bailen to be hot.
It has no holes.  What it does have, however, is an internal harness
(like a hard hat or a baseball batter's helmet) that holds the shell
away from your head.  The wind blows through and keeps you cool.
I had a Bell Tourlite for a while that sat directly on my head.
I didn't like it nearly as well.

My major complain with the Bailen is the lack of a visor.  I have
built one for mine from plastic laminate and binder clips.
--
Michael L. Scott
University of Rochester  (716) 275-7745

jdreyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Jon Dreyer) (10/21/85)

In article <364@sol1.UUCP> s264@sol1.UUCP (s264) writes:
>I question its effectiveness. The Bells (I have put in several thousand
>miles, in all sorts of weather, with both the old Biker and the newer
>model) I find very uncomfortable. (Mostly neck strain, and no, it doesn't
>improve with training.)

Not to dispute that the Bells make you uncomfortable, I find my Tourlite
to be extremely comfortable on very long rides and tours.  I don't think
it's much hotter than no helmet (at least my white one isn't.)  If it's
really hot, I pour water over my head and put my helmet back on.  The
helmet keeps the water (or sweat) around much longer.  Further,
at least on my head,  I cannot see any part of the helmet no matter which
way I look, so It doesn't make me strain my neck.  I threw away the visor.
The Bell comes with detailed instructions for fitting; maybe you didn't
fit yours right.

>Bells and also, say, MSR or Bailen? I have just about given up wearing a
>helmet except for commuting and club-riding (more dangerous than long-
>distance solitary rides).

Please, if you can't stand your Bell, wear the Skid Lid!  It's almost
certainly much better than nothing.

leimkuhl@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/23/85)

I just bought a new Monarch hard-shell racing helmet.  It looks
as protective as the V1 PRO, with the same styrofoam insulation.

Very comfortable, and, I think, much better looking than the PRO.

-Ben Leimkuhler

libes@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Don Libes) (10/25/85)

> Does anyone have any experience with effective, reasonably comfortable
> helmets OTHER  THAN THE BELL BIKER, TOURLITE, OR SKID-LID? Like many

Try the Bell V1 Pro or the Bell Mark V.  (The Mark V is essentially the same
as the Pro but with a visor.)  I have the Mark V and find it well ventilated
and comfortable.  I have helped several people buy helmets in the last year,
and after looking at many, they have all bought either the Pro or the Mark V.

> The only helmet I have been able to use on long rides is the SkidLid, but
> I question its effectiveness.

As I said before, I recommend that you get the WABA publication on helmets.
I resisted posting the whole thing since mine is out-of-date, however let me
tell you what they say about the SkidLid:

"Based on impact tests, we do not recommend them, although they are better
than a bare head."

Don Libes       {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!libes

rogerh@bocklin.UUCP (10/25/85)

I have been using a Brancale Sport for the last month.  It's quite
comfortable -- light and not too hot.  I have no idea if it passes any
tests, but I wear it (I wouldn't wear a Bell).

It saved my life Sunday.  I was cruising along with my wool jersey
strapped under my saddle (my saddlebag has a strap) when the jersey
fell into the back wheel.  Wheel stops; bike stops; I stop -- in that
order.  I lost some skin and put a few pebblemarks in the helmet.  If
not for the helmet, I would at best be drooling at a hospital wall
now.  Or dead like Isadora Duncan.

The moral is, wear a helmet.  Even if you know you're not going to fall
down.  There was absolutely no reason for me to fall; hey, I made my
own.  No-one is immune to 2 second's stupidity.  It shouldn't cost your
life.

				Roger Hayes
				Tucson, AZ
				Cowboy bicycle capitol of Pima County

Footnote for macho & macha racers: this was on a club training ride; I
had dropped the folks, stopped to take my jersey off, and was chasing
back up to the group at about 30 mph.