[net.bicycle] Car driver asks for advice from bicyclists

s255@sol1.UUCP (alcmist) (10/09/85)

    A couple of nights ago I found myself sharing a dark road with a bicyclist
wearing jeans and a dark jacket.  He had no reflectors on his bike, and no
lights.  Within a quarter of a mile I watched him ride in circles on a road
with a 45mph speed limit, run a red light, and cut from the right-hand side
of a busy road to the left, where he proceeded to ride against the traffic.
    I should say right away that this note isn't a flame about bicycles or
bicyclists.  I know from observation that bicyclists average out as much
more responsible road users than car drivers do.  I've done enough bicycling
that when I'm in my car, I give bicycles every break I can.
    The reason I mention this incident is so you'll know what I'm talking
about when I ask
WHAT THE HELL DO I DO ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE THAT?
    I was trying, hard, to keep that idiot in sight so I could avoid him.
I lost sight of him anyway, more than once.  I'm still upset at the idea
that I could have collided with him.
    So I'd really like to hear what the many responsible bicyclists out there
have to say on the subject.  Should I have flipped on my high beams (quartz
halogen; I would have been able to see the bicycle, but would have blinded
oncoming cars)?  Should I have tried to pull over in front and talk to him,
or would that seem like harassment?  Should I have called the cops?
    I honestly want your advice, and will incorporate it into my driving
habits.
        Fred Wamsley    ihnp4!sol1!s255

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (10/13/85)

In article <354@sol1.UUCP> s255@sol1.UUCP (alcmist)
(Fred Wamsley ihnp4!sol1!s255) writes:

>A couple of nights ago I found myself sharing a dark road with a bicyclist
>wearing jeans and a dark jacket.  He had no reflectors on his bike, and no
>lights.  Within a quarter of a mile I watched him ride in circles on a road
>with a 45mph speed limit, run a red light, and cut from the right-hand side
>of a busy road to the left, where he proceeded to ride against the traffic...
>I'd really like to hear what the many responsible bicyclists out there
>have to say on the subject.

As a driver, I don't know what you should do with a bicyclist like that.  As
a bicyclist, I do know that it's jerks like that one that make drivers hate
all bicyclists.  So I suppose you ought to avoid hitting him, but I would
feel justified in honking at him.
--

-- Jon Krueger
UUCP:	...seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tuba

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (10/13/85)

>    A couple of nights ago I found myself sharing a dark road with a bicyclist
>wearing jeans and a dark jacket.  He had no reflectors on his bike, and no
>lights.  Within a quarter of a mile I watched him ride in circles on a road
>with a 45mph speed limit, run a red light, and cut from the right-hand side
>of a busy road to the left, where he proceeded to ride against the traffic.
>
>WHAT THE HELL DO I DO ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE THAT?
>
>    I honestly want your advice, and will incorporate it into my driving
>habits.
>        Fred Wamsley    ihnp4!sol1!s255

The number and severity of his violations were so severe that there is little
you could have done.  Either he knew how wrong what he did is or will have
to learn the hard way.  The only possibility would have been was to gently
remind him of his foolishness if and only if you had the chance to pull
up beside him.  If not, then let him get hit.  He has been educated about
society and cooperation.  (At least we are allowed to assume so.)

Tom Reingold
36 Ellwood St
New York, NY 10040
(212) 304-2504

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (10/14/85)

First of the bicyclist is totally wrong and you are right to be worried about
running it over (potential lawsuits, hassles, quilt).

1) If you stop and give the the cyclist some advice, it is not likely to
take it.

2) Calling the police would probably be the most effective (if they came in
time).

3) Turning on your high beams would probably not too healthy for the
oncoming drivers (they wouldn't understand why you did it).

4) Although not very safe, a memorable message to the cyclist (or anyone
behaving dangerously on the road) is to coming to a gut wrenching, all four
tires screeching halt near the offender, tell then that you almost hit them.
That sure wakes them up.

I still recommend a good lecture from the police to take care of the problem,
though.

barry steel

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (10/15/85)

>     A couple of nights ago I found myself sharing a dark road with a bicyclist
> wearing jeans and a dark jacket.  He had no reflectors on his bike, and no
> lights.  Within a quarter of a mile I watched him ride in circles on a road
> with a 45mph speed limit, run a red light, and cut from the right-hand side
> of a busy road to the left, where he proceeded to ride against the traffic.

> WHAT THE HELL DO I DO ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE THAT?
>     I was trying, hard, to keep that idiot in sight so I could avoid him.
> I lost sight of him anyway, more than once.  I'm still upset at the idea
> that I could have collided with him.
>     So I'd really like to hear what the many responsible bicyclists out there
> have to say on the subject.

Let's get some terms straight first.  "Bicyclist" does not apply to the
individual you describe.  "Idiot" is a much better term, but "punk kid"
is probably the best by far, since the sort of behavior you describe can
usually be attributed to an irresponsible boy between 11 and 16.  The
usual methods of dealing with such individuals apply: treat them exactly
as if they are blind, deaf, and brain-damaged, because the amount of
attention they'll pay to you is about the same.

Try approaching them slowly, flicking your brights, and passing with as much
room as you can manage.  Don't bother talking to the kid; if his parents
haven't dealt with him, you can't either.  Most local laws prohibit bike
riding without reflectors or lights, but you know that there's never a cop
within 20 miles when you see somebody doing an anus imitation in
traffic.
 __
/  \
\__/
				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

powers@noscvax.UUCP (William J. Powers) (10/15/85)

>     A couple of nights ago I found myself sharing a dark road with a bicyclist
> wearing jeans and a dark jacket.  He had no reflectors on his bike, and no
> lights.  Within a quarter of a mile I watched him ride in circles on a road
> with a 45mph speed limit, run a red light, and cut from the right-hand side
> of a busy road to the left, where he proceeded to ride against the traffic.
>     I should say right away that this note isn't a flame about bicycles or
> bicyclists.  I know from observation that bicyclists average out as much
> more responsible road users than car drivers do.  I've done enough bicycling
> that when I'm in my car, I give bicycles every break I can.
>     The reason I mention this incident is so you'll know what I'm talking
> about when I ask
> WHAT THE HELL DO I DO ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE THAT?
>     I was trying, hard, to keep that idiot in sight so I could avoid him.
> I lost sight of him anyway, more than once.  I'm still upset at the idea
> that I could have collided with him.
>     So I'd really like to hear what the many responsible bicyclists out there
> have to say on the subject.  Should I have flipped on my high beams (quartz
> halogen; I would have been able to see the bicycle, but would have blinded
> oncoming cars)?  Should I have tried to pull over in front and talk to him,
> or would that seem like harassment?  Should I have called the cops?
>     I honestly want your advice, and will incorporate it into my driving
> habits.
>         Fred Wamsley    ihnp4!sol1!s255

My personal opinion is that you had certainly done more than the jerk
deserved or could expect.  My experinece is that talking to these
idiots is a waste of time.  The only way that these people are going
to learn is for them to have the s__t scared out of them; and, believe
me, this will certainly happen to them if they live long enough.

Bill Powers.

rdb@drutx.UUCP (BurnhamRD) (10/15/85)

This might be a solution to your problem with the invisible rider,
depending on the situation of course.  I would stay behind the rider
as long as there was a chance of hitting him.  This should be done
any time because even a good rider cannot control such things as
poor road conditions.  In your case two things should happen (1) the
rider should become aware of his actions (2) traffic will backup
behind you.  If this attracts the police all the better.  If you know
the rider talk to his parents.  They may not be aware of the danger
he was in, he will not tell them I am sure.

Bob Burnham

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (10/16/85)

> >A couple of nights ago I found myself sharing a dark road with a bicyclist
> >wearing jeans and a dark jacket.  He had no reflectors on his bike, and no
> >lights.  Within a quarter of a mile I watched him ride in circles on a road
> >with a 45mph speed limit, run a red light,...
...and more descriptions of idiotic/suicidal behavior...

Well, it's not ethical to hit him--thou shalt not take evolution into thine
own hands--BUT, as a cyclist I know how much it scares me when someone
honks very close to me when I'm not expecting it.  I might be very tempted
to honk when I got really close to him (just to see if he reacts the same
way:-)  Flame at this if you will, but whether the guy dumps or not 'cause
you honked at him, if he goes home and swears never to get on a bike again,
everyone is better off.  Yes, I mean scare the shit out of him, but with
noise.  (DON'T try to come close with the car--that's far too dangerous a
game.)
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Simpler is better.

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (10/16/85)

>Let's get some terms straight first.  "Bicyclist" does not apply to the
>individual you describe.

Unfortunately for us, "bicyclist" does apply...

barry steel

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (10/19/85)

> My personal opinion is that you had certainly done more than the jerk
> deserved or could expect.  My experinece is that talking to these
> idiots is a waste of time.  The only way that these people are going
> to learn is for them to have the s__t scared out of them; and, believe
> me, this will certainly happen to them if they live long enough.
>
> Bill Powers.

People don't learn from having the s__t scared out of them, so it's
not such a good idea to try to make someone learn that way.  Just
do what you can, even if that means nothing.  Let him learn or not
learn.  Let him live or die, whichever he prefers.

Tom Reingold

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (10/21/85)

>     A couple of nights ago I found myself sharing a dark road with a bicyclist
> wearing jeans and a dark jacket.  He had no reflectors on his bike, and no
> lights.  Within a quarter of a mile I watched him ride in circles on a road
> with a 45mph speed limit, run a red light, and cut from the right-hand side
> of a busy road to the left, where he proceeded to ride against the traffic.
>         Fred Wamsley    ihnp4!sol1!s255

In Boulder, where I live, I find some of the bicyclists are INCREDIBLY
self-righteous about their riding.  By this I mean that if they are allowed
to use the right lane, even when the road narrows to one lane they will use
the single lane, riding dead center, rather than moving to the right to let
cars pass or going onto the sidewalk.  If they are going to make a left turn,
they will ride dead center of the left lane for the 1/4 mile or so leading up
to the turn. Etc., etc.   This is usually ok, except for when they get a little
rediculous about it- in other words, riding the right lane even when they
have a bike path.
  Occasionally, you even see a "violent biker" -- these guys seem to
intentionally get in your way when driving just to cause you grief.  Last
summer I saw the worst example of this yet.  A car was waiting to make a
right turn at an intersection, and a biker pulled up along side of him.  The
car pulled out and started to make the turn, cutting off the biker.  The
biker pulled out his frame pump and started to ram on the car with it! The
car driver opened his window and told the biker to stop it, but this seemed
to only piss off the biker more, and he now got off his bike and started to
kick the guy's door, putting a fairly large dent in it.
  The drivers solution: he backed up, drove over the guys bike, wrecking it
completely, and drove off.
  The punchline: the biker (according to a friend) tried to sue the car driver
for destruction of property.

  Has anyone else seen anything like this?

   '`'`
   Ken
   `'`'

clarke@utcsri.UUCP (Jim Clarke) (10/21/85)

In article <1023@druxo.UUCP> knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) writes:
>In Boulder, where I live, I find some of the bicyclists are INCREDIBLY
>self-righteous about their riding....
>  Occasionally, you even see a "violent biker" -- ...  Last
>summer I saw the worst example of this yet.  A car was waiting to make a
>right turn at an intersection, and a biker pulled up along side of him.  The
>car pulled out and started to make the turn, cutting off the biker.  The
>biker pulled out his frame pump and started to ram on the car with it!
 ... [more lurid details]
>  Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Sounds like the wild west is on two wheels now.  However, I saw an event
something like this, though toned down, a couple of months ago.
     During morning rush hour on a fairly narrow two-lane street that
terrifies me daily, I watched a cyclist squeeze in beside a small car,
just managing to get into its blind spot as the traffic started to move.
Naturally the cyclist was alarmed, and banged on the car (I'd do that too,
just to avoid getting killed, if I'd gotten myself into that situation).
Somewhat surprisingly, when the danger was over, he began to shout at the
driver about how stupid *she* was.  (Yes, it was a woman in a small car
-- you know, the most aggressive kind on the road :-))
     I expostulated with him (that's what biking's for, no?) and his rage
was at least deflected.  He claimed she'd been in *his* lane!  To be fair,
there is a lot of confusion here over the rules of the road for bicycles,
but in this case good sense and the law do seem to agree that you can't
go and take over someone else's bit of road.
--
Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

marko@tekecs.UUCP (Mark O'Shea) (10/22/85)

We bikers are no different than any other group (eg, motorists, religious,
etc.).  We range in type from sane and sensible to flaming jerks.  Just
judge us individually, please.

Mark O'Shea
Hopefully one of the former.

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (10/23/85)

> In Boulder, where I live, I find some of the bicyclists are INCREDIBLY
> self-righteous about their riding.  By this I mean that if they are allowed
> to use the right lane, even when the road narrows to one lane they will use
> the single lane, riding dead center, rather than moving to the right to let
> cars pass or going onto the sidewalk.  If they are going to make a left turn,
> they will ride dead center of the left lane for the 1/4 mile or so leading up
> to the turn. Etc., etc. This is usually ok, except for when they get a little
> rediculous about it- in other words, riding the right lane even when they
> have a bike path.

Please, let's not encourage people to ride on the sidewalks.  It is
incredibly dangerous (much more dangerous than riding properly on the
street).  Just today I saw someone nearly get hit by a truck coming
out of a driveway, and a friend of mine was killed many years ago
the same way.  For statistics, Palo Alto mandated sidewalk riding
a number of years ago, and the accident rate was way up.  The police
chief called the policy a "disaster".  The ordinance was repealed
after about a year.

I don't object to bike paths as long as they are part of the road.  I
refuse to use a bike path that is separated from the roadway, since
they subject me to the same dangers that sidewalks do.  The dangers
of separate bike paths have been well documented.

Lane sharing:  It's not safe to share a lane if it is too narrow.  12 feet
*minimum*, and John Forester (an engineer who has written extensively
on bicycle traffic engineering) recommends 14.  You bet I will take
the center of the lane if it's too narrow for a car to pass safely.
But I will also move to the right when it is safe.  I don't know how
wide the lanes are in Boulder, but we have a lot here in Austin that
are too narrow for lane sharing.

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(UUCP)
	bill@astro.UTEXAS.EDU.				(Internet)

rob@nitrex.UUCP (rob robertson) (10/27/85)

In article <95@utastro.UUCP> bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) writes:
>I don't object to bike paths as long as they are part of the road.  I
>refuse to use a bike path that is separated from the roadway, since
>they subject me to the same dangers that sidewalks do.  The dangers
>of separate bike paths have been well documented.

I lived in the Netherlands for four year.  They had bike paths and
they worked GREAT.  The path was right next to the sidewalk, usually
with a grass median between the bike path and the road.  The bike
paths week bricked/tiled and were very smooth and clean.  It beats
the H*ll out of riding in the roads.

I think that bike paths are not inherantly dangerous, I think it is
more the way drivers have been educated in this country ("thar's cars,
and kids shouldn't be riding their bikes in our road, they may get
hurt").  Overall, I'd like to compare Dutch bicycle accident stats with
American ones.

--

			rob robertson		decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rob.UUCP
	 		(216) 791-0922			 cbosgd!nitrex!rob.UUCP

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (10/30/85)

> In article <95@utastro.UUCP> bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) writes:
> >I don't object to bike paths as long as they are part of the road.  I
> >refuse to use a bike path that is separated from the roadway, since
> >they subject me to the same dangers that sidewalks do.  The dangers
> >of separate bike paths have been well documented.
>
> I lived in the Netherlands for four year.  They had bike paths and
> they worked GREAT.  The path was right next to the sidewalk, usually
> with a grass median between the bike path and the road.  The bike
> paths week bricked/tiled and were very smooth and clean.  It beats
> the H*ll out of riding in the roads.
>
> I think that bike paths are not inherantly dangerous, I think it is
> more the way drivers have been educated in this country ("thar's cars,
> and kids shouldn't be riding their bikes in our road, they may get
> hurt").  Overall, I'd like to compare Dutch bicycle accident stats with
> American ones.

While it may seem obvious that separate bike paths are safer than
riding on the road, the statistics we have in this country do not
bear this out.  The National Traffic Safety Commission
made a study some years ago that showed that *in the U. S.*,
the accident rate among *experienced* cyclists riding on bike paths
that were completely separate from the traffic was equal to that
on the *most heavily trafficked roads*.  No one knows why this is
so.  Perhaps it is the generally poor engineering of such
facilities; perhaps it is the difficulty of keeping pedestrians
and dogs off of them.  But the bottom line is, they are not safe.
You are far better off on a lightly or moderately travelled road
with no bike path.

Bike paths that are partially separated from the road (for example
with a berm or other barrier), but which force the cyclist to cross
traffic at intersections, or which are themselves crossed by
driveways, are extremely unsafe and should be avoided at all cost.

I agree it would be interesting to compare the Dutch and American
experience, but it is not clear to me that such a comparison would
be very meaningful, because there are many other variables.

I did read an article several years ago by a cyclist who was very
anti-bikepath, but found the Dutch paths to be an entirely
different situation.  So your experience is not unusual.  The
question is, with the attitudes towards cycling in the U. S.,
can the Dutch experience be transplanted here (assuming it can
be demonstrated that it is worthy of emulation)?  Would it be
cost-effective, compared to other uses of the money such as in
education programs, considering the great differences in traffic mix
between here and there?  The answers aren't obvious.