[net.bicycle] Info needed on buying helmets

morse@sketch.DEC (Bob 223-5660 MLO11-3/L12) (10/15/85)

After riding for a while without, myself and a friend have finally smartened
up and decided to buy helmets.  I am looking for recommendations and/or
warnings about the various helmets on the market.  Our criterion are
for selecting a helmet are safety first, followed by comfort and price.
Looking at the Bike Nashbar catalog I saw two possibilities - the
Bell Biker II (about $32.00) and a Vetta (about $20.00).  From the
catalog descriptions, these two sounded about the same - is there anything
good about the Bell (or bad about the Vetta) the makes the Bell worth
the extra bucks?  What other helmets should I consider?  Are there any
articles in biking magazines reviewing articles?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Morse
Digital Equipment Corp.
decvax!decwrl!rhea!sketch!morse

dw@yale.ARPA (David Wittenberg) (10/17/85)

The difference between the Vetta and the Bell helmets is that the
Bell (Biker or Toulite) have a lot more styrofoam in them.
The thickness of the foam is similar, but the Bell has much more
surface area.  Thus the Vetta will crush faster.  This is good,
as you get less energy transmitted to your head.  The problem comes
if you "bottom out" the Vetta, at which point you get no more energy
absorption.  For this reason, the Bell, which transmits more energy in
a minor fall (before the Vetta bottoms out) is much better in a bad fall
as it is much harder to bottom out.

In any kind of a fall with the Bell, you will probably get a concussion,
but in a really bad fall, you'll survive.  With the Vetta in a minor fall
you may avoid the concussion, but in a really bad fall things get bad.

I use the Bell, as I haven't fallen off my bike in 10 years, and I'm
willing to get a concussion every 10-20 years in exchange for surviving
a really bad fall.

These are both good helmets (they both pass the ANSI and Snell tests),
so I'm making relatively small distinctions between them.

	 David Wittenberg       decvax!yale!wittenberg  (uucp)
	 Yale University        wittenberg@yale   (csnet or arpa)

matt@absolut.UUCP (10/17/85)

**** TESTIMONIAL ON ****
  Not to long ago, I was maneuvering to avoid an oil slick on one of our
major streets when a turkey threw his car door open. Normally I would have
been able to avoid it but the combination of road conditions and the suddeness
of the door being thrown open made it impossible.
  The result: I went flying through the air and landed squarely on my head.
Fortunately I was wearing a Bell Tourlite, and came through with nothing but
a sore neck.
   Were it not for the helmet, I have no doubt that I would have ended up in
the hospital, or perhaps even have been killed.
**** TESTIMONIAL OFF ****
   The only complaint I have is the visor shattered into two very sharp
fragments, so I suggest removing it if you don't have other eye protection.

                                               matt

Matt Leo                    {ucbvax!cbosgd!ima!cfib, decvax!cca}!absolut!matt
Absolut Software            617-232-8377
2001 Beacon Street
Boston, MA  02146-4227

dmt@mtgzz.UUCP (d.m.tutelman) (10/17/85)

I bought a Bell V1-Pro early this year, and recommend it highly.
It's a little more money than the Biker model, but worth it I believe.

SAFETY - All the Bell helmets have a good safety record. I recall seeing
	that the V1-Pro passed the new ANSI test for bike helmets.

COMFORT - this is the big plus for the V1-Pro over the Biker (or anyuthing
	else I've seen).  My biggest gripe about other helmets is that they
	restrict your vision when riding the drops.  The result is that
	I have to hold my head higher, with the result being earlier
	tiredness of my neck muscles.  Since I got the V1-Pro, this
	hasn't been a problem.  It's very light, and it rides high on and
	close to the forehead (like a "leather hairnet", but much safer).

			Dave Tutelman
			Physical - AT&T Information Systems
				200 Laurel Avenue
				Middletown, NJ 07748
			Logical  - ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtgzz!dmt
			Audible  - (201)-957-5535

libes@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Don Libes) (10/18/85)

WABA puts out a booklet every year titled "A Consumer's Guide to Bicycle
Helmets" which is the latest word on what to look for in a bicycle
helmet.  It includes WABA and Snell survey results on most helmets
including leather hairnet and hockey helmets for comparisons.  It also
gives tips on where to buy them, with a special note about childrens
helmets.  Price: Free.  Available from:

Washington Area Bicyclist Association
1332 I Street, N.W.
Washington, DC  20005
(202) 393-2555

(I can't say enough good things about WABA, a nonprofit lobbying
organization for cyclists, so I won't even try.)

Don Libes       {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!libes

rdb@drutx.UUCP (BurnhamRD) (10/20/85)

>After riding for a while without, myself and a friend have finally smartened
>up and decided to buy helmets.  I am looking for recommendations and/or
>warnings about the various helmets on the market.

When I bought my helmet I compared a Bell helmet to a Kiwi.  I decided
on the Kiwi because it has a cloth lining that makes it very
comfortable.  Both passed the ANSI standard.

Bob Burnham

winters@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/30/85)

    I vote for the V1-Pro also. It's nice because it has such
     good air circulation and good visibility. I originally
     bought a Bell Tourlite (sp?) which I never really liked
     wearing, but once I traded it in for the V1-Pro, I actually
     ENJOY wearing a helmet and wouldn't think of riding without
     it.

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (11/01/85)

In article <16200123@uiucdcsb> winters@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>    I vote for the V1-Pro also. It's nice because it has such
>     good air circulation and good visibility.
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Depends on what you mean.  In black (a macho requirement) they are NOT at all
visible to drivers.  Obviously you mean it does not block your vision.

The V1-Pro in white may be a good solution.

barry steel

porat@sri-unix.ARPA (Ron Porat) (11/01/85)

I've been using both the old bell biker and the V-1 Pro.  The V-1 Pro is
much cooler and lighter (because of the cutouts) and therefore very
comfortable compared to
the biker.  It also generates less wind noise and is cut higher in front,
so that the field of vision is better (no interference).

The advertising claims about air scoops and spacer pads letting air
circulate around your head are probably true for bald mannequins (not for me).
Cutouts as in the V-1 are order-of-magnitude more effective for cooling.

After about 3,000 miles, the plastic clasp on the V-1 broke.  I called
bell and they immediately sent me a replacement with a form letter
acknowledging problems with their old clasp.  Indeed, the new one is
stamped with a '2', whereas the old is stamped with a '1', though they look
identical.  Must be a materials change.

Another factor to consider is helmet color (white v. black).  The Black
gets hot under the sun, but fortunately there is an inch of styrofoam
insulating the shell from your head.  The color also affects visibility.
I use my old white biker for commuting, because it's more visible in the dark
and warmer than the V-1 on these colder days.

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (11/06/85)

> Depends on what you mean.  In black (a macho requirement) they are NOT at all
> visible to drivers.  Obviously you mean it does not block your vision.
>
> The V1-Pro in white may be a good solution.

***  E  A   T          IT               ***

The only trouble is, nothing that's white stays white for very long.  At
least the black ones don't show the dirt as much.

Following your line of reasoning, you'd probably want white lycra shorts,
too.  Now look, fella's those things are silly-looking enough without wearing
something that looks exactly like a girdle....
 __
/  \
\__/
				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

maa@ssc-bee.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) (11/07/85)

> The only trouble is, nothing that's white stays white for very long.  At
> least the black ones don't show the dirt as much.
> Following your line of reasoning, you'd probably want white lycra shorts,
> too.  Now look, fella's those things are silly-looking enough without wearing
> something that looks exactly like a girdle....

I have a white hemet which has been white for nearly a year.

Although I dont have them, I think that there is nothing wrong with white
lycra shorts even if they look silly. I would rather look silly wearing a
'girdle' as you put it rather than beeing dead. There is no sense being
dead right is there?

Mark Allyn
!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!maa

michaelk@azure.UUCP (Mike Kersenbrock) (11/08/85)

You guys/gals worry about white helmets getting dirty!  My helmet
is an MSR yellow one (their XL one is the only thing that (just) fits my
very large head).  It makes me look like a giant bumblybee. DUMB!
(but I wear it anyway).

Did someone mention that there was a helmet testing article in one
of the early issues of Bicycle Rider magazine?  They tested them
at the ANSI drop and at a more reasonable (5 feet I think) drop distance.
--

Mike Kersenbrock
Tektronix Software Development Products

carlson@ssc-vax.UUCP (Lee R Carlson) (11/11/85)

*** PROTECT THIS LINE WITH YOUR HELMET ***

> Did someone mention that there was a helmet testing article in one
> of the early issues of Bicycle Rider magazine?  They tested them
> at the ANSI drop and at a more reasonable (5 feet I think) drop distance.
> --

The issue is the spring 1985 Bicycle Rider.  The article discusses the helmet
topic in varying depth, and the have a couple of charts that summarize their
testing results.  You can see that the peak load of a Bell is far lower that
the peak load of a Skid Lid, but they don't give you much background to
interpret the nuances of the table.  This is also on impact only test.  There
is no discussion of ventilation, strap arrangement ...  Anyway, its a good
starting point.

If anyone has trouble finding the issue, send me a Stamped-for-two-ounces-Self-
Addressed-Envelope and I'll send you a copy.

	Lee R. Carlson
	824 NE Ravenna Blvd
	Seattle, WA  98115-5578

--