[net.bicycle] Fixing inexpensive bikes

curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) (12/03/85)

A question for you experienced bicycle mechanics:

I am currently overhauling a relatively inexpensive ($250) bike and have
discovered that it is sometimes impossible to adjust the hubs or the
bottom bracket as desired.  The manual that I am using says to adjust
until there is no (or *very* little) play and no tightness or binding.
With my less than perfect machine, however, I find that I am having to
compromise between one of two evils:  A little more play than I would
ideally like, or some tightness/binding.

I realize that either one of these situations leads to early wearing out of
the associated components, but given the alternatives, which is preferable?

Answer by mail or by posting a response.

        ( "This looks like a job for Bicycle Repairman!" )

                                                  -- jim curl, san jose

matt@utastro.UUCP (Matt Wood) (12/05/85)

In article <609@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP>, curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) writes:
> A question for you experienced bicycle mechanics:
>
> I am currently overhauling a relatively inexpensive ($250) bike and have
> discovered that it is sometimes impossible to adjust the hubs or the
> bottom bracket as desired.  The manual that I am using says to adjust
> until there is no (or *very* little) play and no tightness or binding.
> With my less than perfect machine, however, I find that I am having to
> compromise between one of two evils:  A little more play than I would
> ideally like, or some tightness/binding.
>
> I realize that either one of these situations leads to early wearing out of
> the associated components, but given the alternatives, which is preferable?

Leave it loose.  You'll trash the bearings and cups v. quickly if it's binding
much.

--
		Matt A. Wood
		Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712