[net.bicycle] Freewheels, gearing, etc.

sasaki@harvard.UUCP (Marty Sasaki) (12/05/85)

I've decided that it is time to change my freewheel, and to make a new
set of wheels. It has been such a long time since I looked at
freewheels and hubs that I am almost totally lost as I try and make a
few decisions. My questions are:

      o	5, 6, or (gasp!) 7 speed freewheels? Back when I was actively
	buying bicycle stuff there were only a few 6 speed freewheels
	available, and they were hard enough to shift that not too
	many people bothered with them. Now it seems that 6 speeds are
	common place, with 7 speeds gaining. What can you tell me
	about these?

      o	Do I need a special chain for the higher speed freewheels?

      o	Are the wired on tires really as good as the folks at
	Specialized claim them to be? I've been riding on tubulars for
	years and have gotten pretty good at repairing them, but I've
	gotten a little lazier too, and don't want to work so hard.

      o	What about sealed hubs? The only one available way back when
	were Phil Woods.

Thanks for any advice.
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (12/10/85)

> I've decided that it is time to change my freewheel, and to make a new
> set of wheels. It has been such a long time since I looked at
> freewheels and hubs that I am almost totally lost as I try and make a
> few decisions. My questions are:
>
>       o	5, 6, or (gasp!) 7 speed freewheels? Back when I was actively
> 	buying bicycle stuff there were only a few 6 speed freewheels
> 	available, and they were hard enough to shift that not too
> 	many people bothered with them. Now it seems that 6 speeds are
> 	common place, with 7 speeds gaining. What can you tell me
> 	about these?

A 5-spd freewheel will fit anything.  The 6-speed jobs come in standard and
ultra widths, depending on your frame/hub spread.  7-spd freewheels are
ultras that fit on 6-speed hubs, as ultra sixes fit on 5-speed hubs.
Standards are easier to shift than ultras, because the cogs are not so
close together. Standard 5's are a bit easier to shift through all gears
than standard 6's, but they're not as hard to adjust to as ultras are.
Having never tried a seven, I can't comment on them, but I suspect theyre
trickier than anything else.  In any case, a good derailleur is called
for.

>       o	Do I need a special chain for the higher speed freewheels?

For an ultra, yes. You must use a narrow chain like the Sedisport.  I like
the Sedisport well enough to use on my Trek, which has standard spacing;
you can use a narrow chain just fine on standard freewheels, but not the
other way around.

>       o	Are the wired on tires really as good as the folks at
> 	Specialized claim them to be? I've been riding on tubulars for
> 	years and have gotten pretty good at repairing them, but I've
> 	gotten a little lazier too, and don't want to work so hard.

They're tougher, and you have a bigger tread selection than you do with
tubulars.  They're not as responsive as tubulars, but they're not nearly
as fragile.  Clinchers are harder to change, but you can ususally get by
just carrying a patch kit and a set of tire irons, rather than having to
fold up a tire to take with you.  Clinchers can be folded, like a
pretzel (sort of), but I've never bothered.  All the flats I've ever gotten
have been repairable either by patching or a new tube.  Since you'll
probably get fewer flats with clinchers, they're more the lazy man's
tire. I use the Specialized Touring II's on both my bikes, and I like
them.

By the way, if you're going to a clincher rim, I strongly recommend the
Mavic G40; it's very, very durable.

>       o	What about sealed hubs? The only one available way back when
> 	were Phil Woods.

Shimano 600 EX hubs are sealed.  So, I think, are Dura-ace.

 __
/  \
\__/
				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

peters@cubsvax.UUCP (Peter S. Shenkin) (12/11/85)

In article <ihlpg.1472> fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) writes:
>    ....  Clinchers are harder to change, but you can ususally get by
>just carrying a patch kit and a set of tire irons, rather than having to
>fold up a tire to take with you.  Clinchers can be folded, like a
>pretzel (sort of), but I've never bothered.

Specialized "turbo" series clinchers can be folded like tubulars, since
the bead is reinforced with a Kevlar cord, rather than a metal wire.

Also, I believe the word "clincher" is actually out of date;  real clinchers
(I think) didn't have any kind of wire in the bead, but the rubber was
shaped around the bottom into a notch with mated with a complementary
cross-section on the rim.  Beaded tires were the next evolutionary step.

winters@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/12/85)

In reference to the last response, all answers were very good except for
the final one. Neither Shimano's New 600 EX or their Dura Ace hubs are
sealed. They are both a sealed mechanism hub which means there is a
labrynth seal around the dust cap to help keep contaminants out. Good
sealed bearing hubs are made by Specialized, Bulls-Eye, Phil Wood,
Suntour, plus countless others. If you're thinking of using sealed
bearing hubs though, be prepared to replace the bent axles that plague
these hubs. What's wrong with cone and cup hubs anyway?  Also, a note
on ultra freewheels, as long as a fairly tight freewheel is used (no
larger than 24 teeth) they will shift fine with a short cage japanese
derailleur. Don't use an ultra FW for touring gears though, you'll
overshift every time!

                                  Brad Wagner
                                  Paul's Bike Shop
                                  Urbana, IL

bhuber@sjuvax.UUCP (B. Huber) (12/13/85)

>              Clinchers are harder to change, but you can ususally get by
> just carrying a patch kit and a set of tire irons, rather than having to
> fold up a tire to take with you.  Clinchers can be folded, like a
> pretzel (sort of), but I've never bothered.  All the flats I've ever gotten
> have been repairable either by patching or a new tube.
> 				Bob Fishell
> 				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

Your comments remind me of my days of commuting in Tennessee.  Mondays were
like the aftermath of a weekend disaster at the glassworks:  there were more
bottles than rocks along the shoulders of the roads.  I got used to fixing
flats, and agree wholeheartedly with the tire iron/patch kit/spare tube
philosophy.  It really works.
Except for the one Monday morning that I really got it good: a piece of glass
ripped a hole about a centimeter square right out of the center of a tire.  The
tube bulged through and quickly (within a few miles) wore through.
I was hard up for a spare tire, so I improvised.  The idea was to apply some
kind of patch to the tire itself, not to the tube.  I tried first one, then
two, Rema Tip-top patches on the inside of the tire.  These lasted not much
longer than no patch at all.  Finally I settled for folding a piece of
aluminum foil into a fairly thick wad, placing it between tire and tube, and
inflating tube.  These makeshift patches would last about twenty miles (one
day's ride) before the aluminum would break into zillions of really fine flakes,and the tube would bulge through.
Nowadays I always have an old, worn-out tire on hand, off of which I can cut
pieces for patches (although I have never since needed to do so: I don't live
in rural Tennessee any more).
I would love to know whether any of you have found better or simpler ways to
patch your clinchers.

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (12/13/85)

In article <16200127@uiucdcsb> winters@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>these hubs. What's wrong with cone and cup hubs anyway?  Also, a note

	I see you don't ride much in the rain.  It's AMAZING how much
	junk gets in to everything on your bike after a few days.  Sealed
	bearing mean one less thing to keep after every cleanup.

>derailleur. Don't use an ultra FW for touring gears though, you'll
>overshift every time!

	I don't seem to have that problem with my 16-32 ultra-6.

barry steel

wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) (12/16/85)

In article <394@cubsvax.UUCP>, peters@cubsvax.UUCP (Peter S. Shenkin) writes:
> Also, I believe the word "clincher" is actually out of date;  real clinchers
> (I think) didn't have any kind of wire in the bead, but the rubber was
> shaped around the bottom into a notch with mated with a complementary
> cross-section on the rim.  Beaded tires were the next evolutionary step.

In fact, the preferred terminology for today's non-tubular tires is
"wired-on" tires.  (soon to be changed to "kevlar'd on"? :-))

			Dave Wagner
			University of Washington Comp Sci Department
			wagner@washington.arpa
			{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!wagner

"The surest thing there is is we are riders,
 And though none too successful at it, guiders,
 Through everything presented, land and tide
 And now the very air, of what we ride."
	- Frost