[net.bicycle] Avocet Cyclometer On Left Fork?

dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) (01/08/86)

Does anyone know if the sensor for the Avocet LCD Cyclometer can
be mounted on the *left* front fork instead of the right front
fork?  (Avocet says to use the right front fork in their directions
for installation, but doesn't say if using the left fork is impossible.)

I ask this because I currently own a Huret "rubber-band" odometer,
and would like to use them both of them at once (Huret on right front fork,
and Avocet on the left front fork).

I *do* know that the Avocet can work regardless of which direction
the tire spins, useful for seeing how far you coast backwards
on short trips, :-), so even though the tire rotation is
opposite on the left side, it should work.  What I don't
know is if one side of the sensor has to be closer to the
round magnetic hub attachment.

[chuckles, :-) ]
By the way, I didn't plan this too well, and already installed
it, *opposite* to the way I want, ie the Huret is now on left front
fork. Result: the Huret is now measuring mileage backwards on the
big 9999 mile odometer, and the short trip odometer stays at 0.

--
Dennis Bednar	Computer Consoles Inc.	Reston VA	703-648-3300
{decvax,ihnp4,harpo,allegra}!seismo!rlgvax!dennis

peters@cubsvax.UUCP (Peter S. Shenkin) (01/09/86)

In article <rlgvax.891> dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) writes:
>By the way, I didn't plan this too well, and already installed
>it, *opposite* to the way I want, ie the Huret is now on left front
>fork. Result: the Huret is now measuring mileage backwards on the
>big 9999 mile odometer, and the short trip odometer stays at 0.

That part's easy:  just twist the Huret driver belt into a figure-8 when
you reinstall it.  You may have to bend or twist the mounting bracket
to prevent it from rubbing itself....   (A friend of mine did this when
he discovered that the Huret interfered with front panniers on low-rider
racks.  He mounted it on the rear wheel, opposite the freewheel, and had
to use this trick.  Rear panniers stay clear of the unit.)

Peter S. Shenkin	cubsvax!peters		cubsvax!peters@columbia.ARPA
Columbia Univ., Dept. of Biol. Sci., NY, NY  10027,  (212)280-5517

diego@cca.UUCP (Diego Gonzalez) (01/09/86)

> Does anyone know if the sensor for the Avocet LCD Cyclometer can
> be mounted on the *left* front fork instead of the right front
> fork?  (Avocet says to use the right front fork in their directions
> for installation, but doesn't say if using the left fork is impossible.)
>
> I ask this because I currently own a Huret "rubber-band" odometer,
> and would like to use them both of them at once (Huret on right front fork,
> and Avocet on the left front fork).

I have an Avocet cyclometer.  I can't imagine why you would want
both cyclometers on your bike.

However, to your question.  If you place the sensor and magnet for
the Avocet 20 on the left side, the sensor will have to be mounted
upside down.  That's because only one side of the device can read
the magnetic ring on the hub.  (In that position, the apparent direction
of rotation would be the same as if it were on the right.  However, I
think you are going to have trouble because the sensor fits over the
fork tip (dropout) flat above the notch.  When placed in the reverse
position, there is very little room for this fit and the angle of the
sensor head may not align with the magnetic ring.  There is only the
narrowest range of adjustment possible even when mounted on top of
the dropout.

All I can suggest is that you go to a shop that has the Avocet 20 and
try it with the mounting hardware for the unit.  You need only place
the magnetic ring on the hub, the wheel in the fork, and then try the
sensor in various positions.  (By the way, my frames are about 25.5 in.
and the sensor cable is just long enough to reach.)  If worse comes to
worse, I'd still go with the Avocet and retire the Huret.