[net.bicycle] Request for info - Cycling in Europe.

smyth@mprvaxa.UUCP (Roy Smyth) (02/17/86)

I'm planning a bicycling trip in Europe for this summer.  We're
planning to visit the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, a bit of
Germany and the Alsace region of France.  The route plan is:

	-Start in Amsterdam an see a bit of the southern part of the
	 Netherlands before heading into Belgium.
	-We'll cross the eastern part of Belgium and head through
	 the Ardennes to Luxembourg.  We'll avoid Antwerp
	 and Brussels as we prefer the rural areas and small towns.
	-From Luxembourg we'll head down the Mosel valley to the
	 Rhine.  I think we'll take a Rhine boat from Koblenz to
	 Bingen and send the bikes on the train as we've heard that
	 the Rhine valley is too congested for pleasant cycling.
	-From Bingen to Strassbourg and then down the wine road to
	 Colmar.
	-Train to Amsterdam via Paris.

The trip is planned to take about three and a half weeks of fairly easy
cycling (~40 to 50 mi. per day) with a few days off.

Does anyone have any ideas on things to see along the way, sources of
information, route ideas or other tips?

Roy Smyth, Microtel Pacific Research, Burnaby B.C., Canada.

peters@cubsvax.UUCP (Peter S. Shenkin) (02/18/86)

In article <mprvaxa.696> smyth@mprvaxa.UUCP (Roy Smyth) writes:
>I'm planning a bicycling trip in Europe for this summer.  We're
>planning to visit the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, a bit of
>Germany and the Alsace region of France.  The route plan is:
>		(... etc....)

In Spring of 1971 I went from Amsterdam to Paris by bicycle;  it was the
most impulsive thing I ever did.  On the same day I thought of doing it, I
bought a 10-speed at the Amsterdam flea market, put most of my belongings
on a mail train, and left.  I had a sleeping bag and camped out most nights,
though I stayed in youth hostels or with friends or friends of friends some
nights.  I took 10 days, of which 5 were pedaling and 5 were staying various
places.

Two bits of advice:  (1) Michelin road maps:  they're great, and pay attention
to the scenic routes, which are multicolored ribbons on the maps;  (2) yes,
avoid Brussels and Antwerp, but visit the university town of Louvain.
It's on your way, and is nestled in a beautiful valley.

I came down West of the Ardennes proper, through Namur, Charleroi and St.
Quentin, a rather depressed area, but with gorgeous farmland and canals.  I'm
getting almost homesick now, remembering the beauty.  I went in April-May.  I
fairly lived on bread and cheese, and, in France, whenever I'd stop by the side
of the road for lunch, literally every car that would pass would slow down, the
window would open, and someone would call out "Bon apetit!".

I'm sending this to the net as much to share the experience, though it was
long ago, as to answer your query.  Hope that's OK.  Please post a trip report
when you get back!

Peter S. Shenkin	Columbia Univ. Biology Dept., NY, NY  10027
{philabs,rna}!cubsvax!peters		cubsvax!peters@columbia.ARPA