[net.bicycle] Touring frames + ATB's

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (02/21/86)

In article <7613@watdaisy.UUCP> rnkazman@watdaisy.UUCP (Rick Kazman) writes:
>I am currently interested in building up (or buying complete) a true
>touring bicycle...

I am also in the market for a touring bike (or frame+components).
My touring to date has been "short to moderate" but I am looking to
do more serious, and much longer distance touring.  I've decided that
what I want is a compromise between a traditional "touring" bike and
a mountain bike (or ATB).

I am almost certain that I will get an ATB primarily to increase my options
while touring.  For example in Kauai being able to ride on the dirt sugar
cane roads would have been a nice alternative to the very busy highways.

Aluminum bikes look very interesting, my biggest concern is having a broken
frame in some out of the way place that does not have the ability to
"weld" it back together.

Any thoughts / experience out there?  Do they ever break?  Even after
1000's of miles of riding?

Thanks in advance, I'll gladly summerize to the net.

--Bruce Barrett

peters@cubsvax.UUCP (Peter S. Shenkin) (02/23/86)

In article <amiga.725> bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) writes:
>In article <7613@watdaisy.UUCP> rnkazman@watdaisy.UUCP (Rick Kazman) writes:
>>I am currently interested in building up (or buying complete) a true
>>touring bicycle...
>
>I am also in the market for a touring bike (or frame+components).
>My touring to date has been "short to moderate" but I am looking to
>do more serious, and much longer distance touring.  I've decided that
>what I want is a compromise between a traditional "touring" bike and
>a mountain bike (or ATB).

When you say a "true" touring bike, I presume you mean one suited for fully
loaded touring.  In the low-to-moderate priced category, I've been very
happy with my Univega Gran Tourismo (about $400 fully equipped).  Something
between such a touring bike and a mountain bike is a so-called "expedition"
bike;  it has typical touring geometry (underslung handlebars, same sort
of gearing you'd find on a touring bike) except it is heavier duty.  People
commonly put 1 3/8 x 27" (or 700mm) tires on them, though depending on how
much you weigh and plan on carrying 1 1/4 is more common.  An example is the
Specialized Expedition.  Specialized makes great bikes, by the way, and
should you go for something a little bit lighter duty, consider their
Sequoia model, which they consider a sport-touring bike, but which is
capable of fully-loaded touring if you weigh less than about 170 lb.

Oh yes:  go for reliability and field-servicibility rather than performance.
Huret DuoPars are a joy to ride but a bitch to fix, for example, and my friends,
who have taken a 2-week tour in some mountainous area every year for the past
five years say that they've had at least one derailleur failure each year, in
a group of five or six riders.

You'll find that at the better bike shops the people that are really "into it"
know all about racing bikes but usually don't give a hoot about touring bikes,
and tend to turn up their noses at the entire concept.  It's like asking
someone who's into Ferraris help you pick out a pick-up truck.  Some
specific things to look for:  long chain stays (17.5" is good), at least 2,
preferably 3 water-bottle braze-ons, cantilever brakes (of course), a touring
saddle (the Avocet is considered to be the best by everyone I know who's tried
it... they have different models for men and women), braze-ons for front racks,
extra holes near the drop-outs for fender stays (don't laugh;  fenders keep you
dry in the rain!), vertical drop-outs on higher-priced bikes, like Specialized.

People who have Cannondales like them;  I personally think they're hideous,
except in a mountain bike.  This is just an aesthetic judgement, but then
life is art....

Peter S. Shenkin	 Columbia Univ. Biology Dept., NY, NY  10027
{philabs,rna}!cubsvax!peters		cubsvax!peters@columbia.ARPA

wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) (02/23/86)

In article <725@amiga.amiga.UUCP>, bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) writes:

> I am almost certain that I will get an ATB primarily to increase my options
> while touring.....

Have you ever ridden an ATB?  Sure, they're a lot of fun in the right
circumstances, but make no mistake about it, they take more effort to
get from point A to point B than a bike with skinny tires.  (I have both
types of bike;  admittedly, though, my touring bike is a no-holds-barred
custom bike while my ATB is an inexpensive off the shelf model.)

My opinion is that unless you are planning a tour which will involve
predominantly unpaved roads, you are better off with a regular touring
bike with 1-1/4" tires.  You might even want to go all the way to 1-3/8"
if you felt it necessary.  Note that I don't advocate trying to tour
with tubies or 1" wired-ons (which unfortunately seem to be standard
equipment on a lot of so-called touring bikes).
But most people think that they're not
going to see any noticeable difference in durability until they go all
the way to 2.125" tires.  That's nonsense.  But don't skimp on the quality
of the wheel components!  Go with strong rims with more than 36 spokes,
and a set of hubs with axles that won't break.  And distribute your
load front and back - that's one of the most important things you can do.

			Dave Wagner
			University of Washington Comp Sci Department
			wagner@washington.arpa
			{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!wagner

"The surest thing there is is we are riders,
 And though none too successful at it, guiders,
 Through everything presented, land and tide
 And now the very air, of what we ride."
	- Frost