[net.bicycle] Cyclometers

keesan@bbncc5.UUCP (Morris M. Keesan) (08/21/85)

In article <45100001@hpfcde.UUCP> anny@hpfcde.UUCP (Anny Randel) writes:
>A cyclometer is a neato little computer that goes
>on your bike to measure some (depending on the brand) of the following:
>
>	current speed
>	average speed
>	maximum speed
>	cadence
>	elapsed time

Not to forget trip distance and total distance (on the Cateye Solar), and
gear ratio, VO2, and calories burned, on some fancier models.  Personally,
I find the speed readouts a nuisance, making it harder to switch back and
forth between cadence and trip distance, which are the two readouts I use
with any frequency.
--
Morris M. Keesan
keesan@bbn-unix.ARPA

stork@k.cs.cmu.edu (David Zabowski) (02/17/86)

I am thinking about buying a cyclometer (one of those cute little computer
type devices for bicycles) and would like to know the relative merits of the
various types.  Any personal experiences, problems , etc. will be
appreciated.  Please reply by e-mail only.  If there is a significant
response I will summarize to the net.  Thanks.

David Zabowski

stork@k.cs.cmu.edu		ARPA
...siesmo!stork@k.cs.cmu.edu	Loosenet

daves@midas.UUCP (Dave Suryan) (02/26/86)

Sorry for the posting to the net but our system couldn't handle your
mail address.

I've used an IKU computer for two years, these are my likes and dislikes
on this unit:
Likes:
1. Has all the functions I want.  Current speed, max speed, avg speed,
   trip distance, trip time, and odometer.
2. Trip time stops ticking (and avg speed frozen) when stopped.  This
   is nice, I don't have to remember to push a start/stop button.
3. Uses the sensor ring and a lithium cell for power.  The cell should
   last maybe 10 years.  (My 1st cell died after a year, hope it was
   just defective).

Dislikes:
1.  Mounts over the handle bar instead of the stem, and so uses up too
    much handle bar space.
2.  Average speed only displays to a truncated mph.  It would be nice
    if it displayed to tenths of a mile.
3.  Can't reset odometer except by removing the battery.  This is no
    easy job since you have to tear the unit apart and unsolder the
    battery.

I've also used a VELOTECH.  There are two models and I have the cheaper
one.  I don't like it.  It has a lot of, what I consider, useless
functions and doesn't provide more useful functions like trip distance.
Also the speed display is only updated once every 3 seconds (too slow).
The speed display also fluctuates too much.  I can be riding at a
steady speed and the display will fluctuate +/- 2mph.  The mounting
for the sensor is also poor.  I'd stay away from that one.

I don't have any experience with a Cateye solar, but a friend who has
one says he has trouble keeping the batteries charged.  To keep them
from discharging you have keep the unit in sunlight a lot.

I just bought a Cateye Mate.  It has all the functions I want except
avg speed.  It does speed, max speed, trip dist, trip time and
odometer.  It uses cheap AAA batteries for power.  It mounts over
the stem to conserve handle bar space.  Time will tell how good it
is.