[net.bicycle] Needed: info on good parts for commuting bike...

ar563303@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) (02/25/86)

 I have neither read nor posted to this net in some time, but I have
returned because I am in need of some information:

  SEPTA, Philadelphia's transit authority, is about to go on strike,
thus depriving me of my means of transportation to school, work,etc.
I plan to refurbish my 1978 Schwinn Varsity Sport to replace public
transit. The bike was damaged in a hit-and-run accident approximately
1 year ago, but has suffered no apparent frame damage. The derailleurs,
etc. were not so fortunate.

 Enough of this background nonsense; what I am asking is recommendations
as to equipment to redo this bike from the frame up. The distance in
question is approximately 20-25 miles per day; the terrain is variable,
urban/suburban with up to 50 degree grades for distances of up to 1 mile.
Traffic is moderate to heavy urban with speeds up to 45 m.p.h./70 k.p.h.

  Please send all replies via email to the address below. I will post a
summary if warranted. My cost range in parts is up to 150 US dollars.
Please reply promptly, as I have to get my bike on the road by 15 March,
the proposed strike date. Who knows; I may never go back to public transit
again!

                                               Tony Rowley

                               {bpa | burdvax | allegra | astrovax}|sjuvax|
                                               ar563303

kenf@tekigm2.UUCP (Ken Ferschweiler) (02/28/86)

In article <2836@sjuvax.UUCP> ar563303@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) writes:

> Enough of this background nonsense; what I am asking is recommendations
>as to equipment to redo this bike from the frame up. The distance in
>question is approximately 20-25 miles per day; the terrain is variable,
>urban/suburban with up to 50 degree grades for distances of up to 1 mile.
>Traffic is moderate to heavy urban with speeds up to 45 m.p.h./70 k.p.h.

I would recommend ropes, pitons and rock climbing shoes for the 50 degree
grades.

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (03/03/86)

[I ain't 'fraid o' no line-eater...]
In article <475@tekigm2.UUCP> kenf@tekigm2.UUCP (Ken Ferschweiler) writes:
>In article <2836@sjuvax.UUCP> ar563303@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) writes:

>> Enough of this background nonsense; what I am asking is recommendations
>>as to equipment to redo this bike from the frame up. The distance in
>>question is approximately 20-25 miles per day; the terrain is variable,
>>urban/suburban with up to 50 degree grades for distances of up to 1 mile.

>I would recommend ropes, pitons and rock climbing shoes for the 50 degree
>grades.

Perhaps he means 50%, i.e. 26.6 degrees. (Perhaps not. I have skiied
some hills which are about 45 degrees when you look across the hill but
suddenly become about 75 when you look downhill. This is an
example of slope relativity :-)  ).

Greg Smith     University of Toronto       ..!decvax!utzoo!utcsri!greg