Date: Fri, 21 Feb 86 23:06:29 est
From: mancello (Mr. Mancello)
To: josephl@tekigm2
Subject: Re: Falling On Ice
Newsgroups: net.bicycle

/* acf4:net.bicycle / josephl@tekigm2.UUCP (Joseph Dean Ludwig) /  3:38 pm  Feb 20, 1986 */

	I just took my second fall with my bicycle on ice within
	the last four months.  Whereas the first was on an uphill
	grade with minimal speed, the second was on a downhill
	at about 20 MPH.  The later has proved to be much more
	painful.  I'm amazed at how fast the bicycle slips out
	from beneath me.

	Now I don't live in an extremely cold area.  What do you
	folks who commute year round in colder areas do about
	this problem?  I don't want to stop commuting just because
	it's below freezing temperature.

	Maybe I need training wheels!!!

				Joe Ludwig
				Tektronix in Washington
/* ---------- */

Maybe you should be iceskating to work rather than bicycling.  I am assuming
that the roads are not pure ice but sprinkled with ice granules.  If the
road were completely covered with a layer of ice, why would you want to
ride on it unless you have a death wish or just like to feel pain.

If you are determined to ride in such hazardous conditions, you should use
the widest tires possible for your bike, underinflate them for better traction,
use tires with knobby treads (like ATB's), and keep more of your weight over
the rear wheel.  Stay low on your bike with your hands on the drops of the bars
(this will increase your stability).

Also, if you don't already do so, WEAR A HELMET!  It just might save your life
someday.

						-Dom Mancello
						(cmcl2!acf4!mancello)

matt@utastro.UUCP (Matt Wood) (02/23/86)

In article <458@tekigm2.UUCP>, josephl@tekigm2.UUCP (Joseph Dean Ludwig) writes:

> 	I just took my second fall with my bicycle on ice within
> 	the last four months.  Whereas the first was on an uphill
> 	grade with minimal speed, the second was on a downhill
> 	at about 20 MPH.  The later has proved to be much more
> 	painful.  I'm amazed at how fast the bicycle slips out
> 	from beneath me.

I grew up in Iowa, so don't flame the Texas origin of the idea.

Something you can try (I haven't, but a friend did) is to put tacks
through an old, now-unused tire from the inside.  In effect, you'd
be making an "ice bicycle".  Obviously this is a drastic measure.
If it's too ambitious or unapealing to you, then I'd suggest you use your
brakes so you don't go too fast, and keep your weight just slightly off
the seat for improved balance (in addition to underinflated tires).

Good luck!

--
		Matt A. Wood
		Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712

wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) (02/23/86)

> If you are determined to ride in such hazardous conditions, you should use
> the widest tires possible for your bike, underinflate them for better traction,
> use tires with knobby treads (like ATB's)....

A popular misconception is that knobby tread gives you more traction on ice.
Doubtful - if the ice is a smooth layer, and not just broken up crusty stuff,
you want as much rubber in contact with it as possible.  Treads are of
no use unless the surface on which you're riding is irregular enough to
afford something for them to grab onto.  Have you ever seen tires for
motorcycle ice-racing?  (which is, I'll admit, a crazy sport.)

			Dave Wagner
			University of Washington Comp Sci Department
			wagner@washington.arpa
			{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!wagner

mink@cfa.UUCP (Doug Mink) (02/24/86)

Joe Ludwig writes in <458@tekigm2.UUCP>:

> 	I just took my second fall with my bicycle on ice within
> 	the last four months.  Whereas the first was on an uphill
> 	grade with minimal speed, the second was on a downhill
> 	at about 20 MPH...
>
> 	Now I don't live in an extremely cold area.  What do you
> 	folks who commute year round in colder areas do about
> 	this problem?  I don't want to stop commuting just because
> 	it's below freezing temperature.

First, you shouldn't be going 20 on ice, especially if it's not
prefectly smooth.  We had an icestorm in Boston last week, so I got a
chance to practice my ice riding a bit.  The most important thing to
remember is not to make any fast changes of direction; in this sense,
bicycling on ice is not much different than driving on ice.  This also
means that you should take great pains not to do anything that will
cause the automobile drivers with whom you are sharing the road to have
to make any quick maneuvers.
Riding techniques on rough ice are not that much different from those
needed on loose gravel.  The bicycle wheels can be pushed in random
directions unexpectedly; your job is to keep your direction of travel
constant and the wheels turning.  If you go too slow, your lack of
momentum will allow the bike to be too easily diverted; if you go to
fast, the results of a slight slip can be disastrous.  My recommendation
is to find a parking lot or alley with no traffic and awful conditions
and practice on it.
As for special equipment, I ride the same 15-year-old Raleigh Grand Prix
with 1 1/4 inch Specialized touring tires all year, though in bad winter
weather, I replace the toe-clipped pedals with ATB pedals and ride with
hiking boots for traction when I need more surface contact to stop.  On
heavy snow, an ATB has an advantage, but the sport-touring frame's
maneuverability is useful in traffic conditions.
--
				-Doug Mink

maariano@watdaisy.UUCP (Marco Ariano) (02/24/86)

My suggestion is don't ride on ice.  I quit after having two spills in a week.
If you insist though, (and you've *got* to try), I have a few other suggestions.

- Don't make any sudden movements at all.  You've got to anticipate
things long before you're forced to deal with them.  You've basically
got *no* lateral traction.
- Take corners *very wide*.  They're the killers.  Don't even *think* of
touching your brakes.  Slow down before you need to.  Spill #2 was on a
corner and I fortunately slid into to the other lane before the oncoming
car reached me.
- When there's a cold frost on the road be *extremely* careful of manhole
covers and lines painted/stuck on the surface.  You won't believe how
fast your bike slides out from underneath you.  Spill #1 was caused by a
manhole cover.  Somehow I avoided head injuries on the curb (no helmet).
- Wear a helmet.
- The worst surfaces are ice sprinkled with fresh snow (sp #2) and
freezing rain.  Deadly.  Read a book.

Marco Ariano

but hey, sometimes you just gotta say 'What the ...'

road when

keith@hp-pcd.UUCP (keith) (02/25/86)

I did about the same thing back when I was going to Oregon State.
There was a short downhill before the driveway to the dorm. Unfortunately,
there was a patch of ice in the driveway.  I was quite amazed to find
myself without a bicycle under me. The result: seven stitches in my chin.

Since then, when the temperature gets below freezing, I'm just REAL careful.
I go slow on corners, watch out for shady spots, etc. With the patchy ice
conditions that we get around here it's the best thing I can recommend.

				Keith M. Taylor
				HP Portable Computer Division
				Corvallis, Oregon

putnam@steinmetz.UUCP (jefu) (02/26/86)

In article <460@uw-june> wagner@uw-june (Dave Wagner) writes:
>> If you are determined to ride in such hazardous conditions, you should use
>> the widest tires possible for your bike, underinflate them for better traction,
>> use tires with knobby treads (like ATB's)....
>
>A popular misconception is that knobby tread gives you more traction on ice.
>Doubtful - if the ice is a smooth layer, and not just broken up crusty stuff,
>you want as much rubber in contact with it as possible.  Treads are of
>no use unless the surface on which you're riding is irregular enough to
>afford something for them to grab onto.  Have you ever seen tires for
>motorcycle ice-racing?  (which is, I'll admit, a crazy sport.)

I have an ATB which i attempt to use in the winter, and seeing as how the
local climate tends toward chilly in that season, there is a lot of ice
and snow around.  The knobby tires by themselves are not much help.  This
is true even for irregular ice most of the time (though certainly smooth
ice is much worse).  Local bike shops suggest wood screws driven through
the tires (from the inside ! :-), but i havent tried this yet.

My general inclination is to suggest avoiding roads when there is likely
to be ice on them.  Not only is it difficult to control a bike well on
ice, but it is also difficult to control a car well, and the way most
drivers tend to treat bikes makes it doubly hazardous.  I wish i could
say otherwise.

--
               O                   -- jefu
       tell me all about           -- UUCP: {rochester,edison}!steinmetz!putnam

grr@cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) (03/04/86)

> Since then, when the temperature gets below freezing, I'm just REAL careful.
> I go slow on corners, watch out for shady spots, etc. With the patchy ice
> conditions that we get around here it's the best thing I can recommend.
>	Keith M. Taylor HP Portable Computer Division Corvallis, Oregon

Actually riding on ice can be a lot of fun if you are prepared and can find a
route minimally frequented by automobiles.

The biggest trick is to learn how to maintain a very neutral pedaling/riding
attitude and be prepared to fall gracefully.  You only have so much traction
on ice and any unbalance, thrusting, leaning or careless braking will deposit
you on the ground.

* Avoid Cars
* Practice Riding Style
* Wear a Helmet (do as I say...)
* Practice falling (relax, don't get tangled)
* Wear Padded, tough Clothing and gloves
* Pick you route (all ice is ok, patches suck)
* Avoid Cars
* Avoid Cars

Of course I also prefer riding at night...
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbm!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbm!grr@seismo.css.GOV

putnam@steinmetz.UUCP (jefu) (03/10/86)

In article <22@cbm.UUCP> grr@cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>Actually riding on ice can be a lot of fun if you are prepared and can find a
>route minimally frequented by automobiles.

Yup.  I decided that i was going to officially (personally) decide spring
was here when i could bike the bike path from Albany to Troy (NY).  So
spring was here on saturday (despite the 18 degree (F) temperature).
However, it was all snow and ice with a few places where the sun actually
got to the dirt and made mud.  It would have been _possible_ on a road
bike, but was work even on my ATB.  I only fell twice. In one place there
was about a hundred yards of sheer ice, flat on both sides and with a
kind of small glacier in the middle.  Getting across that without falling
was a minor triumph.

>The biggest trick is to learn how to maintain a very neutral pedaling/riding
>attitude and be prepared to fall gracefully.  You only have so much traction
>on ice and any unbalance, thrusting, leaning or careless braking will deposit
>you on the ground.

Which translates to : keep your wheels going in the same direction at about
the same speed (remember Newtons law), dont pedal energetically (too much
weight shifting), turn _very_ carefully, and _RELAX_, you probably cant
do anything anyway.

>* Avoid Cars
>* Practice Riding Style
>* Wear a Helmet (do as I say...)
>* Practice falling (relax, don't get tangled)
>* Wear Padded, tough Clothing and gloves
>* Pick you route (all ice is ok, patches suck)
>* Avoid Cars
>* Avoid Cars

You forgot :

 *Avoid Trucks