[net.bicycle] Recumbent bicycles

daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) (03/14/86)

I have been browsing through this newsgroup for a while now and haven't
seen anything on these bikes.  The arguments for the design *seem*
logical, ie.: Lower center of gravity increases stability, less wind
resistance, more effective use of leg leverage, more comfortable seat
possible, and better interaction with auto drivers because of mutual
vision contact.

Since reading about recumbents about 4 years ago, I've always thought
that if I were to buy another bike it would be one of them.  Does anyone
have any comments about them, pro or con?  Post to the net or E-mail, as
you see fit.

Dave "The Reclusive Recliner" Richards

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (03/16/86)

In article <964@felix.UUCP> daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) writes:
>I have been browsing through this newsgroup for a while now and haven't
>seen anything on these bikes.  The arguments for the design *seem*
>logical, ie.: Lower center of gravity increases stability, less wind
>resistance, more effective use of leg leverage, more comfortable seat
>possible, and better interaction with auto drivers because of mutual
>vision contact.
>
>Dave "The Reclusive Recliner" Richards

I will first mention that I have never ridden one of these (or even seen one
in the flesh ) so take this with a grain of salt.
I don't believe that a lower C. of G. increases stability. Remember we are
talking about _dynamic_ balance here. The higher you are above the ground,
the more slowly you fall over, and the easier it is to correct. If you
don't believe this, put a pop bottle over the end of a 2ft long stick, and
try balancing it vertically with the other end on your hand. Then try it
with a 6ft long stick (the stick should still be lighter than the bottle).
The longer stick makes it much easier. And when you balance a bike, you do
it by moving the _bottom_ end back and forth ( via the front wheel) so it
is more or less the same thing (even with hands off the bar. Flame away).
You would, however, be less affected by crosswinds.

The argument for less wind resistance would seem to make sense.
I don't think you would have better vision contact with anybody driving
anything but a Morris Mini. Riding one of these past a large truck, van, or
pickup must be positively nerve-wracking.

As to the better riding position and use of leg energy, I would really like
to try one of these out one day ( despite the above points ) and find out. I
suspect that if they were as good as they say, though, we would be seeing more
around [ narrow-minded biased thinking :-) :-) ].

--
"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn" -J. Morrison
Greg Smith     University of Toronto       ..!decvax!utzoo!utcsri!greg