[net.bicycle] Components

mike@asgb.UUCP (Mike Rosenlof) (02/21/85)

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a list of many popular
components and a quickie rating on each.

Could that person send me a copy?  It's already expired on our system.

Thanks-

Mike Rosenlof				   ihnp4!sabre!\
					hplabs!sdcrdcf!-bmcg!asgb!mike
		    { ihnp4, ucbvax, allegra }!sdcsvax!/
Burroughs Advanced Systems Group 		     Boulder, Colorado

jon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Gingerich) (03/11/86)

Re: Aerolites versus Look step-in pedals

I saw Aerolites in Bike Tech in Garden Grove, CA a while back.  I have some
major reservations about them.  They rely on the cleat to do the gripping,
unlike the Look system, which has the pedal do the gripping.  I fear the
nylon cleat will be quickly worn by foot down stops, or subject to cracking
or just general stretching.  Also, I'm dubious of the ease of mounting them
to the sole of a shoe.  By putting the mechanics into the pedal, Look is a
lot less susceptable to these problems.  Also, you can adjust the tension
on some models.  I also have my doubts about buying anything from a small
company (or a lot of the larger ones too).  Anyone remember Weyless?
I think Look should be applauded for bringing a major and useful inovation
to the market.

Along that line, I was thinking about the list of useful innovations in
bicycle components.  Here's my list and comments;  Anyone care to give it a
shot?

(useless ideas are in parentheses)

step-in pedals - these appear to be really useful and neat.
shortened crank spindles  -  claimed to both stiffen and lighten the crankset
				maybe?
aero rims  -  maybe not great aerodynamically, but very strong
(hard anodizing  -  makes braking harder and doesn't help rims that much)
SIS system  -  will Shimano keep this one?  I haven't used it.  Any comments?
built in crank extractors  -  even Campy went for this ... just when the
				Japanese decided it didn't have racing cachet
electronic cyclometers  -   esp. cadence
(one bolt seat posts  -  I can't keep my Campy tight enough, new designs are
				using two.)
(cam actuated brakes  -  more complex, not much more function)
"aero" levers  -  nice to get the cables out of the way, now if only someone
				would offer predrilled reinforced bars.
roller bearing headsets with nylon cups  -  well thats what I have now,  I don't
	know if they will last longer than conventional kind, but that isn't too
	long anyway.
(ultra spaced freewheels  -  not my favorite, they are noisy and fussy and the
		tolerences are too tight to fit most 5 speed hubs unspaced.)
"slow" foam seats  -  haven't tried these yet
split roller chains (Sedisport)  -  quieter, but less drag?  worse shifting?
foldable tires  -  especially the heavier ones, for tours.
double pivot derailleurs (Duo-par et al)  -  great stuff
slant panagraph  -  quite venerable now, I never could understand why Suntour
	didn't come out with a premium, robust, Campy quality version of the
	Cyclone GT.  It was quite adequate as a touring derailleur and would
	have preempted the Duo-par with its sturdiness.

Have fun!
Jon. Gingerich

scott@rochester.UUCP (Michael Scott) (03/12/86)

I'd like to stimulate discussion of neat new components that HAVEN'T
been invented yet.  What do you most need that no one manufactures?

Here's my first suggestion:  a locking quick-release skewer for hubs
(or for seat posts, for that matter).  Ideally, I'd like it to open
and close with the same key that fits my Kryptonite lock.

I ride a fair amount in the city where I must lock my bike outdoors.
I use a U-bolt lock because anything less is not enough (My previous
bike was stolen).  I find it a major nuisance to remove the front wheel
every time I lock up.  I could replace the front skewer with ordinary
hex nuts (not theft-proof, but less inviting), but I like being able to
remove the wheel without tools -- when I get a flat I leave most of the
bike locked to a post and take the wheel home on the bus.  I have seen
the new skewers that have no lever -- you insert an allen key for
leverage.  Unfortunately, all too many theives carry allen keys these
days (Someone stole my water-bottle cage last year).
--
Michael L. Scott
University of Rochester    (716) 275-7745

eirik@tekchips.UUCP (Eirik Fuller) (03/13/86)

In article <16056@rochester.UUCP> scott@rochester.UUCP (Michael Scott) writes:
>I'd like to stimulate discussion of neat new components that HAVEN'T
>been invented yet.  What do you most need that no one manufactures?

Well, you can't say you didn't ask for it. :-)

I thought of lockable parts a while back.  I still think it's a
great idea.  In the same vein, when will someone market a lockable
luggage system?  Doesn't seem too hard.  Make a hard shell pannier
set with a built in rack.  Some of the new materials might make
this reasonably light.  Ideally, it would be entirely removable from
the bike, with no tools.  Perhaps it could have built in gadgetry,
like lights or computer stuff.  It seems this might have aerodynamic
advantages too, in a low rider style.

I wonder if bicycle computers could use optical pickups and, if so,
whether that would provide more resolution (hence precision) than
magnetic ones.  In particular it might allow higher update
frequencies.  Ambient light might cause problems with such pickups,
but there is a way around that:  build bottom backets (for cadence
pickups) and hubs with internal optical pickups.  This would also
eliminate alignment hassles.  Of course, wiring would run inside of
the frame.

I vaguley remember reading about a stem (from Shimano?) with a built
in cycle computer.  Is my memory faulty, or was there such a thing?

How about a built in night light (connectable to a generator) in a
cycle computer?  I look forward to street lights with my Cateye
Solar when I ride after dark.

How about a seatpost with a spoke hanger for spares?  It could
include a plastic cover that runs the length of the spokes, to avoid
scratching the inside of the frame.  Admittedly, racers would have
little interest in this.

How about plumbing inside of the frame?  Cannondale and Klein could
brag about their larger capacity :-).  With a straw and lightweight
insulation, this could replace or supplement water bottles.  Seems
as though this has been mentioned before, but I've never seen it
done.

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (03/15/86)

>I'd like to stimulate discussion of neat new components that HAVEN'T
>been invented yet.  What do you most need that no one manufactures?

>Michael L. Scott
>University of Rochester    (716) 275-7745
>scott@rochester.arpa       scott%rochester@CSNET-RELAY
>{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!scott

I have been thinking about a zip-up tire to replace the sew-up tire
for a long time now.  Sew-ups really do ride better than clinchers
but the maintenance is ridiculous.  If we could zip them to patch
the inner tubes, we could have most of the best of both worlds.

With regard to you problem with locking the front wheel, let me
suggest you do what I do.  I live in New York City where bike theft
and vandalism is pretty bad.  I have also lived in Boston where it
is bad too.  I use a cheap cable lock to lock my front wheel and
use the U-shaped lock for the rear wheel and frame.  A thief COULD
get through the cheapo lock but it hardly seems worth his effort
for just a lousy front wheel.

This seems to be his outlook as well, because I have used this
method heavily for seven years now and have had no attempts at all
made on my front wheels.  Other things have been taken but no one
seems to go for my cable lock.

Tom Reingold
Rockefeller University
New York City
uucp: {seismo|ihnp4}!cmcl2!rna!rocky2!reintom

neil@watdcsu.UUCP (Neil Patterson - DCS) (03/17/86)

> I'd like to stimulate discussion of neat new components that HAVEN'T
> been invented yet.  What do you most need that no one manufactures?

A brake light sufficient to warn a bicyclist.

fish@ihu1g.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (03/18/86)

> >I'd like to stimulate discussion of neat new components that HAVEN'T
> >been invented yet.  What do you most need that no one manufactures?

Something to deal with "difficult" motorists.  How about an aluminum and
chrome-moly anti-tank gun that doubles as a tire pump?
--
 __
/  \

winters@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/19/86)

I thought of zip-ups too, when I first saw someone repairing their
sew-ups. I was told that the problem with that is the weight, but
I still think there must be some way to do it.

How about a system which would allow for multiple fixed gears (instead
of a free wheel, a fixed wheel). I set up a fixed gear bike, and I enjoy
riding it except that wind, hills, etc.  make having only one gear a bit
limiting.

Also, a helmet stereo which would have speakers away from your ears so
that outside sounds could still be heard (not recommended for city riding).

This is the latest: Spenco shorts with the padding right inside of your
shorts rather than on the saddle so that you don't slide around. Maybe
we'll see these ...

My favorite theme for inventions has to be dog deterents. Do you all know
what snappy pops are? (they are these little paper sacs filled with some
kind of explosive powder and little pebbles so that when you throw them
at something they explode (they make alot of noise). My idea is to package
these three to a tiny cloth satchel for throwing at hostile dogs. The only
thing is, I'm afraid that some dogs would be more prone to bite you if
they got scared.

What other dog deterents have you people invented? I'd like to hear about
these especially.

-L.W.