[net.music] Artists reponses to other artists

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (11/13/85)

In article <5828@tekecs.UUCP> waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) writes:

>I was trying to think of other songs where one musical artist puts down
>the work of another by stating the offending artist by name, and a reference
>to the previous work.

   Well, this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but I saw Warren Zevon
live a few years ago; I could swear that during "Werewolves of London" he
changed the line "I'd like to meet his tailor" into something like "He's
looking for Liz Taylor."  Not another musical artist, and only possibly an
implied putdown, but it's all I can think of... except I also remember Jackson
Brown being in the song... something about "walkin' down the boulevard".  It
wasn't derogatory though.

rose@sdcsvax.UUCP (Dan Rose) (11/22/85)

In article <1691@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) writes:
> . . . I saw Warren Zevon
>live a few years ago; I could swear that during "Werewolves of London" he
>changed the line "I'd like to meet his tailor" into something like "He's
>looking for Liz Taylor."

I've heard Zevon's (excellent) live album many times, and the concert
version recorded there has him saying, "and he's looking for JAMES
Taylor."  Maybe this is what you heard, or maybe he changed it.  At
any rate, I sort of assumed this WAS meant as a putdown.

Something similar appears on Paul McCartney's "Wings Over America"
live album.  He sings the Simon & Garfunkel "Richard Cory" (based,
in turn, on a poem by E.A. Robinson), and in the line ending the
chorus, instead of saying "I wish that I could be . . . Richard Cory,"
he says, "I wise that I could be . . . John Denver."  The crowd
liked it.
				-- Dan

--
			Dan (not Broadway Danny) Rose