[net.bicycle] 'trials' competition

greg@xios.UUCP (Greg Franks) (11/24/86)

In article <1986Nov19.133341.3787@utcs.uucp> jon@utcs.uucp (Jon Alexander) writes:

>Someone just posted a notice of an upcoming 'trials'
>event. I am not an expert, but for those who are
>curious, I think a bicyle 'trials' competition is an
>event where competitors on bicycles follow a set-out
>path over a course, something like an obstacle course,
>where they are NOT racing so much as attempting to
>maintain precise control, manouever as gracefully as
>possible (ie stay on their bike) and keep an even
>speed.

I believe trial's riding originates from Motorcycling where indeed the
intent is to ride some sort of obstacle course as quickly as possible
and with as few ``dab's'' as possible.  Dabbing means putting your foot
down (or falling off of course.....) The person who ``cleans'' the most
sections in the least amount of time is the winner.

I believe that one would need a mountain bike for trials riding.  Low
gears and the ability to hop BIG logs are definitely an asset.

I also seem to recall seeing an article in _Bicycling_ regarding setting
up your own trials course (Parking lots full of cars are fun :-)).

Vermont Ain't Flat!
  ..greg franks