[net.micro.16k] Vaporware

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) (02/03/85)

[Aren't you hungry...?]

	Well, it seems I have been hoisted on my own petard.  I owe an apology
to Motorola.  I made many comments to the effect that as far as normal
mortals like me were concerned, 68020 samples were vaporware.  I suspect
they are true, but I would now like to know who to talk to for the manuals.

	You see, I finally got a hold of samples from National - or more
accurately, from Omega, their local tech company.  These parts came without
the promised bug lists, were not current revisions, and were not the
requested speeds.  In addition, other parts I had requested, and was
assured were available turn out not to be in silicon yet - e.g. the hard
disk controller chip set.  I have asked for current revisions - specifying
the revision letter, and it seems that they cannot be gotten by Omega.
Each sample they order comes back rev K, and I have been told rev N is the
thing to wait for. I have also been told that rev N is available... I will
believe it when I hold the silicon in my hot little hands.

	I have learned a lesson about credibility.  I am glad that I do not
have megabucks involved in National.

	Perhaps some kind soul at Motorolla might tell me who to get in touch
with (and telno) for the manuals for the 68020 and 68881.  It seems that
national has not yet got their act togther.

	To those I have lambasted in my confidence in National, I owe a sincere
apology. I have learned somthing (sigh).

Jonathan Shapiro
Haverford College

Don't slam National too hard until you try to get Motorola to admit
that there is a non-empty bug list for the 68020.  Yes, there *is*
a 68020 bug list.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (02/08/85)

In article <794@sjuvax.UUCP> jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) writes:

>	You see, I finally got a hold of samples from National - or more
>accurately, from Omega, their local tech company.  These parts came without
>the promised bug lists, were not current revisions, and were not the
>requested speeds.
>
>Each sample they order comes back rev K, and I have been told rev N is the
>thing to wait for. I have also been told that rev N is available... I will
>believe it when I hold the silicon in my hot little hands.
>
>	Perhaps some kind soul at Motorola might tell me who to get in touch
>with (and telno) for the manuals for the 68020 and 68881.

Jonathan, I am truly sorry that you've been jerked around so much, but the
truth remains that, though supplies are short, many rev N 32016s have been
shipped.  Of course, they have been shipped first to customers who have
been working with the Series 32000 for years and who have production sockets
they desperately need to fill.  Surely this is neither uncommon nor
unreasonable, but I can well understand how frustrating it is to smaller
customers.

Having waited this long, you can, I hope, wait for our production to ramp
up to the point that your local distributor will be stocking the parts
you want.  Meanwhile, *do* read the 68020 manual.  It's extremely informative,
especially when you read between the lines.  I'm sure oakhill!davet will
be happy to send you one.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

sjl@ukc.UUCP (S.J.Leviseur) (02/08/85)

The response you get seems to vary with who you deal with. I was
involved in a project using the 32016 in the UK.  We found that
you got by far the best response from dealing with Nat Semi direct.
They were always very helpful and provided us with samples and
buglists.

Obviously Nat Semi would rather you went through their distributors
but these have a vested interest in moving old stock, or just are
not as knowledgable. We repeatedly asked for G mask and got F mask
chips ( it was that long ago! ). Approaching Nat Semi direct solved
this. Distributors in the USA may be more knowledgable.

	sean

	sjl@ukc.UUCP
	..!mcvax!ukc!sjl

shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) (02/09/85)

> Don't slam National too hard until you try to get Motorola to admit
> that there is a non-empty bug list for the 68020.  Yes, there *is*
> a 68020 bug list.
> --
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
> 				{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!henry

Of \course/ there's a 68020 bug list, the chip isn't even into
production release yet!  They're still sending out evaluation
samples.  You expected maybe the chip would be perfect the first
time?  Give me a break!  The 68020 has only been sampling for a
few months, how long has the 32016 (aka 16032) been out?

					Bill Shannon

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) (02/11/85)

[Aren't you hungry...?]

	I am sorry to see that Richard Mateosian, though kind in intention,
missed my point.  I can understand that the newer revisions might go to
companies with a history with National - someday I will appreciate the same
treatment (if I stick with the parts that long).  This attitude I fully
agree with, though the precedence system should damn well be explained to
the people who will be on the short end of it (as well as those for whom it
is positive).

	Far more important is the fact that the chips were:

	a)	Not up to speed.  I have heard many things about the recent push to
get 10 Mhz Rev N parts out.  Given that, it seems absurd that I can't even
get an 8 Mhz Rev K part.

	b) FAR MORE IMPORTANT, having the piece of silicon, I can't even build
an automated toilet flusher for lack of a bug list.  This is inexcusable.
Mr. Mateosian and I have discussed in private the deplorable nature of
National's local tech support people.  He suggested talking to pioneer,
which I did.  The problem there is that they have to deal with the same
damn bumbling incompetence that I do.

<FLAME OFF>

I am sorry, ladies and gentlemen, but it is terribly frustrating and I am
sick and tired of being patient while losing out to competitors because
some ass somewhere in the chain of command can't get his shit together.
As I said in my first posting, I am *GLAD* I do not have a large amount of
money committed to National. If things do not improve quickly I will seek
to make that commitment less than it is.

	More unfortunate is the fact that I personally feel National's
architecture to be better than Motorolla's (matter of opinion - no flames
please). Perhaps National has a spot for a marketing VP??? I would be happy
to take on the job for a few years. At least then I would get buglists and
many of you wouldn't be going bankrupt.

Jon Shapiro
Haverford College

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/13/85)

I've been doing some checking around, and we are trying to make sure that
the updated information gets to the interested parties. Solves this case,
mostly, but in some ways it doesn't solve the problem.

A good part of the problem is simply that a distributor like Omega works on
commission and doesn't have the time or resources to really deal with very
low volume accounts such as teachers and grad students (three sets of
chips, a set of manuals, and you never hear from them again). It tends to
get very expensive for them to do this handholding, so they try to minimize
it, justifiably so. But we don't want to cut the schools out from our
product, so what we've done here at National is set up a University support
program to help get the information and materials needed out to the people
in the school. If you're working with National parts, and are having
trouble getting the information you need, drop me a line and I'll do what I
can do get you hooked into the program.

chuq
--
From left field, near the warning track:          Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Even though a poem be a thousand words, but made up of senseless words, one word
of a poem is better, which if a man hears, he becomes quiet. --The Dhammapada

> Of \course/ there's a 68020 bug list, the chip isn't even into
> production release yet!  They're still sending out evaluation
> samples.  You expected maybe the chip would be perfect the first
> time?  Give me a break!  The 68020 has only been sampling for a
> few months, how long has the 32016 (aka 16032) been out?

Bill, you have my complaint precisely backwards.  Of course there's
a bug list.  But for a while, trying to get Motorola to *admit* it
was a little difficult...  They were quite definitely trying to give
the impression that the chips were perfect on the first shot.  Ho ho.

By contrast, National has been very cooperative about supplying bug
lists.  It's the content of said lists that I could live without...
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology