[net.micro.16k] Advice/Help with TRS-100

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (04/12/86)

In article <1829@dciem.UUCP> frank@dciem.UUCP (Frank Evans) writes:
.
.
.
>1) Can one expand the memory by oneself
>without having to pay the high Tandy prices?
>I am fairly comfortable with electronics and
>soldering and so I am hoping to do it myself
>or purchase a reputable 3rd. body hardware
>product. Any suggestions??

I bought extra memory from PG Design Electronics which guarantees
their memory or your money back.  They were about  28.00 per 8K ram
module.  These are custom made chips and can't be found for much
less than that.  PG Design also makes a board that fits inside the
model 100 that lets one bank in two extra 32K modules make a total
of 96K for the machine.  They also have a copy, rename, and kill
routine for the main menu.

>2) What are good sources of information for
>hardware/software options and ideas available
>for the TRS-100??

A great book on the subject of hardware and software for the model
100 is Hidden Powers of the TRS-80 Model 100 by the WAITE Group.
The author was Christopher L. Morgan.

>3)Can this computer be connected to a 1200
>baud modem or directly to a Macintosh?

Yes.  I use mine with an external 1200 baud modem, and also use it
with a null modem cable to transfer files to my model IV.  The
communications port (RS232C) will go at all speeds up to 19200 Baud.

>4)Can the computer be connected directly to a
>Macintosh via a null or ordinary modem in
>order to send/receive text files?

YES.

>5)What other worthwhile hardware/software is
>available for the TRS-100 besides what Tandy(
>Radio Shack) has to offer??

Anyone know the answer to this?

>6) What are good reference or instruction
>texts which provide a good background on how
>to program the Basic in the TRS-100? What
>type of basic is used in this machine??

See Question 2. And, the owners manual has a complete list and
explanation of all the model 100 basic statements.  The manual
also has some example programs in the back that show some useful
rom calls.

>I would deeply appreciate any advice or ideas
>on these matters??
>
>Sincerely		 Frank Evans

The model 100 is a good machine for porting around files that are less
then 32K.  If you like to program in BASIC (Yeecch :->) it has some
nice features.  You can capture interrupts (kind of) from the keyboard
and com port to make I/O easier.

I am a diabetic and have to monitor my blood sugars three to four times
a day.  I use my model 100 to keep records of my blood sugars and make
plots on my printer.  I can store up to a year of data with my short
3K program and 29K of extra ram.

--
-----------------
Michael S. Leibow

greggt@ncoast.UUCP (Gregg Thompson) (04/12/86)

> I would deeply appreciate anyone's advice on
> the subject of the Trs-100 computer.
>
> My questios are?
>
> 1) Can one expand the memory by oneself
> without having to pay the high Tandy prices?
> I am fairly comfortable with electronics and
> soldering and so I am hoping to do it myself
> or purchase a reputable 3rd. body hardware
> product. Any suggestions??

	The Model 100 extra memory is not hard to install. If you wish to buy
from an outside dealer you should look into buying the latest 80 Micro
magazine. You should find some advertisements from different companies selling
extra memory and rom chips. The Model 100 is capable of going to 96k of memory.
Again you will find this in 80 Micro. BTW 96k for the Model 100 is better than
the Tandy 200! They can't expand to that much. Also when I installed my extra
memory they just plugged in. No soldering.

> 2) What are good sources of information for
> hardware/software options and ideas available
> for the TRS-100??

	Mainly any Trs-80 computer magazines. There are also some newsletters
floating around.

> 3)Can this computer be connected to a 1200
> baud modem or directly to a Macintosh?

> 4)Can the computer be connected directly to a
> Macintosh via a null or ordinary modem in
> order to send/receive text files?

	 The Model 100 is capable of 9600 baud. You can hook up a modem or a
null modem to it. Radio Shack sells a null modem for it. When buying a modem
(or using one) double check the connectors on the Model 100, you may need a
sex change for your cables.

> 5)What other worthwhile hardware/software is
> available for the TRS-100 besides what Tandy(
> Radio Shack) has to offer??

	There are several rom chips and software packages available through
Radio Shack or through other vendors. Again check other Trs-80 Magazines.

> 6) What are good reference or instruction
> texts which provide a good background on how
> to program the Basic in the TRS-100? What
> type of basic is used in this machine??

 	Radio Shack sell a couple of books for the Model 100. It depends on
what you want to know and what you want to use.

	I have a library of Model 100 programs available for FREE. If you
would like to have a copy of the list please mail me. Or you can call
216-781-6201. When the login prompt comes up type model100. I have over
100 programs sitting on the machine and about 100 more sitting on my computer
(I am currently having problems with the hard-disk on my computer).

					Gregg Thompson
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!greggt

mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) (04/14/86)

One worthwhile piece of software for the Mod100 is TMPC, a calendar and TODO
program by Acroatix, Inc.

It much nicer than the free time-management programs you may have seen
writen in BASIC.  It combines a powerful calendar, which understands complex
dates like, "the second thursday of every month" or "the last business day of
January", allows you set warning messages in calendar or business days
before any date, repeats dates on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis, etc,
etc.  I've yet to find a calendar entry it won't handle.

Coupled with this is a "todo" setup which helps you organize tasks by
priority and stress.  As each is completed they can be optionally logged
with the date to a seperate file.

All of this is run by a "move the pointer" interface which is quick and easy
to learn.  The calendar alone is worth the $50 Acroatix wants for it.  I
don't have their phone number handy, but the address for Acroatix is:

	Acroatix, Inc.
	Box 273
	Wilmington, MA  01887

--Dwight Mckay, ECN Text Processing Software Support
[arpanet: mckay@ee.ecn.purdue.edu, usenet: ...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay]
[Compu-serve: 75776,1521, office: EE 348B, phone: (317) 494-3561]

{ I'm not in any way connected with Acroatix, just happy with their product }