[net.micro.16k] Any 32000 series news?

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (05/20/86)

Most of the traffic I've seen is discussing the name of the group.
How about some discussion of the NS32000 series chips as well.

In particular:

1) Is there any news about of Lilith-type machines based on 32000 series
chips?  (Wirth's group is porting Modula-2 and the Medos environment to a
32000-based machine.)  If the 32000 became the Modula-2 chip of choice then
it find a real niche.

2)  What's the prognosis for the 32000 series, given the serious competetion
from Motorola and Intel?  Seems like everybody except Symmetrix and Definicon
use 80{,2,3}86 or 680[012]0.  Most compilers only need to be written once,
so what other advantage might National have?  Can they build 200Mhz GaAs
32000-series chipset before Motorola and Intel and save themselves?

					- Ralph
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu		Phone: (412)CMU-BUGS

mason@ryesone.UUCP (Dave Mason) (05/23/86)

> Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu writes:
>
> 2)  What's the prognosis for the 32000 series, given the serious competetion
> from Motorola and Intel?  Seems like everybody except Symmetrix and Definicon
> use 80{,2,3}86 or 680[012]0.  Most compilers only need to be written once,
> so what other advantage might National have?  Can they build 200Mhz GaAs
> 32000-series chipset before Motorola and Intel and save themselves?

A recent Electronics was discussing 32 bit processors and said a couple of
interesting things:
1) ~1990 The market is expected to be 680x0 & 80x86	~60%
					ns32000		~18%
   (these numbers may be off a bit)	we3????		~11%
					others		~10%
   many of the people developing large-scale multi-processors (eg Sequent)
   are going with ns32000

2) It is claimed that the Japanese are going to get left out in the cold.
   The window of oppurtunity is closing on new architectures, and the majour
   American manufacturers are leary of cross-licensing agreements (and the
   copyright laws are getting much tighter)
--
usenet:	..!utzoo!ryesone!mason	Dave Mason, Ryerson Polytechnical Institute
	..!utzoo!utcsri!mason	Dave Mason, U. Toronto CSRI

>   many of the people developing large-scale multi-processors (eg Sequent)
>   are going with ns32000

Well, I don't know about "many".  "Some".  National's incredible delays in
getting working chips out the door turned off a LOT of people.  Sequent is
sticking with them, last I heard.  At least one other outfit started with
32032s for machine #1 but is using the 68020 for #2.  I fear the 32332 is
too little too late.
--
Join STRAW: the Society To	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
Revile Ada Wholeheartedly	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (05/28/86)

In article <6731@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>   many of the people developing large-scale multi-processors (eg Sequent)
>>   are going with ns32000
>
>Well, I don't know about "many".  "Some".  National's incredible delays in
>getting working chips out the door turned off a LOT of people.  Sequent is
>sticking with them, last I heard.  At least one other outfit started with
>32032s for machine #1 but is using the 68020 for #2.  I fear the 32332 is
>too little too late.

Supposedly, Sequent's next family (after the 21000) is going to be Intel-
or Motorola-based as well.

--
"Speak for the company?!   Gee, I have a hard enough time speaking for myself!"

====================  Roger B.A. Klorese
====================  celtics!roger@seismo.CSS.GOV   (seismo!celtics!roger)