[net.analog] "Just Wrap" summary

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (03/01/85)

***     AC  T              YOUR     AGE ***

Having read several followups and letters regarding my "Just Wrap"
query, I've concluded that the thing is not for me.  Some respondants
have had success with it, most have not.

Evidently, this tool relies on the sharp corners of the pins to
cut into the insulation and make contact.  This doesn't always
work, and it's useless if you're wrapping anything but square
pins.  I use wire wrap for just about everything, e.g., making
connections to TO-220 devices like power transistors and voltage
regulators - you can wrap right on the legs if you're careful.

Anyway, the $30.00 or so they want for this tool will buy a lot
of pre-cut.  Looks like we'll have to wait a while longer for
a better mousetrap.  There are some professional power tools that
do quite nicely, but that'll have to wait; I'm still trying to
get a good deal on an oscilloscope for my little workshop, and
I don't have the money to spend on a professional tool.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.
/_\_

				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

ksbszabo@wateng.UUCP (Kevin Szabo) (03/01/85)

In article <214@ihlpg.UUCP> fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) writes:
>I use wire wrap for just about everything, e.g., making
>connections to TO-220 devices like power transistors and voltage
>regulators - you can wrap right on the legs if you're careful.

This is a very bad practice that will get you back in the end.
Wire wrapping requires that microscopic cold welds form at the
wire-pin interface. The square pegs insure that the necessary
pressure occurs. A round pin does not create the pressure
and a non gas tight connection results. I have fixed many
wire wrap projects (for others) that have involved wrapping
to round pins, a quick dab of solder on the connection usually
corrects things. This is often the way I go, wrap and then
a dab of solder. If your components fit onto a dip header
use that instead.

				Kevin
--
Kevin Szabo  watmath!wateng!ksbszabo (U of Waterloo VLSI Group, Waterloo Ont.)

crs@lanl.ARPA (03/04/85)

> Evidently, this tool relies on the sharp corners of the pins to
> cut into the insulation and make contact.  This doesn't always
> work, and it's useless if you're wrapping anything but square
> pins.  I use wire wrap for just about everything, e.g., making
> connections to TO-220 devices like power transistors and voltage
> regulators - you can wrap right on the legs if you're careful.

I had hoped to quote from a Gardner-Denver publication that came
with my wire-wrap(r) tool but, naturally, I can't find it.

CONNECTIONS WRAPPED ON TERMINALS WITHOUT SHARP CORNERS SHOULD BE
CONSIDERED TEMPORARY AT BEST.

Please be aware that solderless connections of this type *depend*
on the sharp corners of the post biting into the wire for the
gas tight connection.  This is true with STRIPPED wire too.
If you wrap onto a terminal without *sharp* corners, consider it
*at best* a temporary connection only slightly better than if you
had wrapped the turns with your fingers.  That's why wire-wrap
posts are either square or rectangular and have been, well before
the existance of the tools that are supposed to bite through the
insulation.

Wire-wrap(r) is a registered trade mark of Gardner-Denver.

Charlie
...!{cmcl2 ihnp4}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (03/07/85)

> > I use wire wrap for just about everything, e.g., making
> > connections to TO-220 devices like power transistors and voltage
> > regulators - you can wrap right on the legs if you're careful.
> >

> CONNECTIONS WRAPPED ON TERMINALS WITHOUT SHARP CORNERS SHOULD BE
> CONSIDERED TEMPORARY AT BEST.

***     AC  T              YOUR     AGE ***

I had neglected to mention that I solder the wires after wrapping
them onto anything other than the square pins designed for the
purpose.  Considering the number of reactions I got to my
original statement, I thought I'd set the record straight.

Wrapping a wire onto a pin is a pretty good way to get it to hold
still while you solder it.  It also gives you a way to connect
off-board components that are heat-sinked to the chassis without
fussing with edge-mounting them.

Unfortunately, the connection is somewhat prone to metal fatigue
if you're going to be playing around with the board a lot.  What
I wish I had is a tool that would make it easy to solder 24 AWG
*stranded* wire onto component leads, but I've yet to see anything
like that.
/_\_

				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish