[net.analog] Synthesizer Recommendations

williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) (08/14/85)

	To answer some of your questions:

	Companding DAC's are neither linear nor logrithmic. This makes
computation a major pain in the neck. Companding DAC's have an
exponent and a mantissa. A true logrithmic converter would be the
ultimate choice for modulation techniques, whereas a linear DAC would
be best if you wanted to add alot of waveforms together. The advantages
of a companding DAC would not be significant inside a closed box, the
major advantage being noise immunity, and hopefully you could control
this fairly well inside the box.

	The best realistic S/N ratio you should ever want is 95 dB. This
is the limit for the human ear. This works out to 18 bits. 12 bits will
yield about 70 dB, which is probably good enough for alot of applications.
You can use a notch filter to improve this by setting it at the sampling
frequency. There is very little you can do about the lower harmonics that
are generated by the quantization error.

	I would seriously look into MIDI. Any piece of equipment that is
worth anything will have this interface, because:

	1) It allows digital recording

	2) It allows synchronized playback

	3) It allows modularity of different components.

	4) It's *REAL* cheap to impliment.

	Some Suggestions:

1) Set the sampling rate at something that fits nicely with the temperment.
Most modern keyboards are set at equal temperament, which is a compromise
of harmony for transposability.

2) Do some research on the MIDI standard and include it.

3) Use lookup tables for all your functions except the really simple ones.
This will probably mean a rather large ROM. Reconstruction just doesn't
cut it at those speeds unless you have a CRAY 1.

4) Play test it. Get some professional musicians to try it.

				Good Luck,
						John Williams

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (08/16/85)

In article <3613@decwrl.UUCP> williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) writes:
>	The best realistic S/N ratio you should ever want is 95 dB. This
>is the limit for the human ear. This works out to 18 bits. 12 bits will
>yield about 70 dB, which is probably good enough for alot of applications.

Wrong.  The range of the human ear (from just audible to threshold of pain)
is 120dB.
18 bits = (6dB/bit) * 18 = 124 dB.  12 bits is 72dB.
In practice, once you add analog noise on top of everything else,
12 bits is pushing the low side.  Many folks insist that
the 16 bit standard is still too small a word size.
One large box (the Lucasfilm ASP) uses (correct me if I'm wrong,
anyone) 20 bit converters (both D/A and A/D) and a 24 bit data path.

>2) Do some research on the MIDI standard and include it.
>4) Play test it. Get some professional musicians to try it.

Excellent advice.  Some of the best hardware has been
packaged under some of the worst software/control layouts...
(MIDI products are not exempt from this!)
Even giving it to the kid next door for a week or two will
tell you lots about what to improve; a musician who has
torn his/her hair out with a frustrating product may be
able to point out weak spots more quickly....

Jonathan E. Quist
Lachman Associates, Inc.
ihnp4!laidbak!jeq
``I deny this is a disclaimer.''